Tennyson, close up roof support while drying

Dalesq

I think the roof is the real challenge of this kit. The kit comes with a brace for the lower roof, seen in the attic on the right, but the real issue is that the large left roof (looking at it from this angle) has no support tabs. It's attached to the front piece, but is just laying on the left edge. The weight of this section of the roof shifts the right lower roof and makes for some frustrating moments. (Lots of slow deep breaths)

I kept looking at it and finally realized I needed to prop up the left section while it dried, not the right (lower) section. I accomplished this by using a scrap piece wedged against the dormer cutout (see next close up pic). Worked like a champ! Then the right side support piece was not under pressure, it just fit fine.

My concern was that I'd get the roof pieces to fit, but under tension and through the use of lots of clamps while it dried. I knew it would fit without forcing it, and didn't want to risk it later sagging, warping etc. I'm planning to add "knee walls" like a member did (Alice's dollhouse) and that will give the roof additional glue attachments and support.

• Like 1

From the album:

Big T -- 1:12 scale laser cut Tennyson

· 43 images
  • 43 images
  • 0 comments
  • 104 image comments

Recommended Comments

Thank you so much for the Tennyson pictures! I am building from an old Whitney kit, and of course my instructions are missing. Love the open first floor! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your progress. :D

• Like 1

Is it a Tennyson? Do you want a copy of the Tennyson instructions? Let me know your email if you want me to scan and send them to you.

• Like 1

If anyone has directions for the Tennyson and can email them to me or provide a link to download them, please please please do. Funkisockmunki@gmail.com

I got a kit at the ReStore but it's missing instructions.  I'm hoping to build this for my little one. Thank you!