Thorne Room Inspiration

otterine

As you may recall, I raised the ceiling in the parlor on the first floor to accommodate the new narrow staircase but left the kitchen the original lower height so I wouldn't have to alter the swinging windows of the upper floor. This means the hallway floor is higher than the bedroom floor. I've been in old houses where doors open to reveal the bottoms of staircases. I've also seen a set of two to three steps leading up a wall to a door. So, I figured this was the way to go for the Heritage.

When Lyssa and I went to the Art Institute when she came for a visit this past October, we naturally saw the Thorne Miniature Rooms first. In one of the fine bedrooms, there was just such a setup. I already had a vague image in my mind, but this helped solidify the idea.

I like how the top step is even with the door...as though it were a continuation of the floor on the other side. This makes sense to me, so that one doesn't open the door and immediately fall down a drop off. I made my steps from foam core board and basswood. I stained the treads Minwax English Chestnut and painted the remaining pieces Vintage White by Folk Art to match the trim throughout the house. I was impatient for the stain to dry, so I've assembled the stairs for a quick photo shoot. No more floating door. :D

When installed permanently, the door will open into the bedroom, but the photos look better with the finished frame showing. The door is also in need of final finishing.

• Like 2

From the album:

The Haunted Heritage

· 854 images
  • 854 images
  • 0 comments
  • 2,838 image comments

Photo Information

Recommended Comments

these look great Brae.... not only does it solve the problem of the floating door... but I have to agree with the other comments as well... they add so much interest :)

The stairs are great, and I love the different levels of the floors; it gives it an organic feel - as though the house had grown over time, and was built by many different hands.

:clap: