Grandma's attic - faux slats and rafters

otterine

I'm mulling over the idea of using vintage newspaper to line the attic in the same manner as the attic in Baslow Ranch. But, I also like the look of exposed wood in an old attic regardless of the energy inefficiency. Since I know what a newspapered attic would look like, I decided to try a wood slat attic. I can always cover it if I don't like it, or do a combination of the two.

I used Dura-Craft wood flooring strips for the roof boards. These are pieces from both the old lost Dura-Craft kit and the Heritage. I did one gable to test out the look, starting with a template made from dark brown paper in case it showed through (Lyssa concurred).

I glued wood strips to the template and then cut rafters from 1/16" x 1/4" strip wood. If this were an actual roof, the rafters wouldn't be flat, but I wanted mainly the look of an attic more than an architectural model.

I decided to add color before installation in case I needed to press the boards flat as they dried. I stained the wood by mixing Staining Antiquing Medium with Asphaltum, both by Americana. It's a rich color I will definitely keep in mind for future use, but it is too new and warm for an old attic. I added a stain of Staining Antiquing Medium mixed with Neutral Grey by Americana. It toned down the brown.

But, it wasn't "dusty" enough, so I added a third stain of Staining Antiquing Medium mixed with Slate Grey by Americana. Once dry, I checked the fit again and then glued the main piece in place. I won't glue in the rafters until I get the rest of the walls done and the floor installed, but I propped them up with mini hold wax.

I absolutely love the way this looks! I didn't sand the boards or the rafter pieces, and I think that really solidifies the rough hewn look. Hooray!

• Like 5

From the album:

The Haunted Heritage

· 854 images
  • 854 images
  • 0 comments
  • 2,838 image comments

Photo Information

Recommended Comments