Tile mural - starting the grout lines

otterine

I did a little prep work and sampling before forging ahead with the tile mural. First, I photographed my original hummingbird and flower drawing and then manipulated it in PhotoShop to lighten and sharpen since some color loss and blurring occurs in printing.

There are a few ways I figured I could make the tiles. I could cut out individual tiles and paste them to a board with "grout lines" in between. The problem I foresaw with this method was matching the precise lines of the drawing and getting the grout lines even. Also, I would have to cut my tiles slightly smaller since the overall dimensions of the drawing were exact to the shower stall size I wanted.

I opted for an easier and just as effective method: making gridlines in PhotoShop. I made my gridlines the lightest of greys, just to make them fall into the background slightly. Plus, even white tile grout isn't bright white in real life. I also made sure there was a gridline in the very center where the mural would break at the corner of the shower.

Both of these test prints have 14 half-inch tiles across but the one on the left has grout lines 10 pixels wide and the one on the right has 5 pixel-width grout lines.

The 5-pixel lines seem better in print (in person anyway), but I will do a trial run of the next step using both samples to see which works better in the end. I don't want to go through the whole process just to have the lines disappear for being too thin.

From the album:

The Artist's Studio

· 229 images
  • 229 images
  • 0 comments
  • 505 image comments

Recommended Comments

Based on these photos, I like the image on the left because the grout lines are more obvious and really gives it a tile look. But I'm looking at a iPad screen, so maybe the right hand one is more esthetic, you would know. It's really lovely.

You will certainly know which to do; your artistic judgement will prevail. I am confused though. Did you photograph and photoshop your original artwork? So when you put this image in your dollhouse, it will be a printout of the original? That certainly gives you more freedom of experimentation.

And..... did you actually find a little composting toilet? That looks like one!

Thank you! Yes, the 10-pixel (left) photographs better so it might end up being the one I go with. And,. yes, the art in the dollhouse will be a printout of the original. I'll frame the original art and hang it in my real life house. :D

The toilet came from The Dolls House Emporium in a modern set with a tub (used formerly in the Newport) and a pedestal sink I've never used.

• Like 1