Landscaping complete - detail

otterine

With The Deck completed, it was time to put in the landscaping. I started by applying stucco patch material to the previously sculpted builders foam base. This evened out the landscape and filled in holes and gaps. It also solidified the deck support posts into the foam base. I covered all of the wiring channels with tape and then painted the new surfaces brown.

I had leftover Meadow Field Grass by Heki, from Scenery Express -- one full sheet and several large scraps. I had used this material for The Aero Squadron Lounge. I cut patterns to determine how far in the grass would go.

Inside this area under The Deck, I applied Fine Foliage/Turf in Dark Earth by MBS followed by Woodland Scenics Fine Dark Brown Ballast to serve as exposed dirt. I added a gravel pathway at the bottom of the stairs using decorative terra cotta colored sand from Joann's. I like this particular color for the gravel because it doesn't compete with the other exterior finishes.

Where there are seams, I make them as natural looking as possible, as though there's just a variation in the lawn in that particular spot.

I kept the landscaping simple since there is so much already going on outside the Studio. :D

• Like 1

From the album:

The Artist's Studio

· 229 images
  • 229 images
  • 0 comments
  • 505 image comments

Recommended Comments

I was SO surprised to see grass. For some reason, I had it in my tired little head that this deck was going to be over water. Looks wonderful. So much like your inspiration picture.