Bedroom

abloom

This is the beginning of the bedroom, just loosely fitted. No floor yet; it's sitting on a table. The Orchid has that great gable over the porch, and I want to make it a part of the bedroom with the head of the bed in the gable. But the floor in the gable is not even with the floor in the rest of the room, so I'm thinking about making some kind of a platform for it. I wasn't sure if I wanted to have all the upstairs ceilings be unpainted wood boards like this, or wallpaper them in the bedroom, so I tried the wood boards first. I think I like it this way. I need to finish it better and maybe add some beams.

• Like 1

From the album:

Gothic Orchid

· 38 images
  • 38 images
  • 0 comments
  • 97 image comments

Recommended Comments

Andrea,I'm going to be watching you closely on this part;I haven't even taken my Orchid kit outta the box,but I swear to you,just last night I fell asleep trying to figure out how to set a bed in the same way,with the head of the bed inside the gable,and could only come as far as building a bed on top of the window seat with the foot extending out-essentially what you would be doing with the platform,I think-?Can't guarantee I won't change my mind again,but can't wait see the option you come up with! So far,your work is STUNNING!!

Hi kat,

I was just thinking the same and actually went over to my Orchid and turned the bed around tosee what it would look like

Do away with the bed head and use the height of the window ledge to set the height of the bed, not much difference i don't think.Shorten the length of the bed base as part will be set into the gable window.

Interesting.

I will wait and asee what you girls do!

there seems to be a bit more floor space!

Great minds think alike! :) I first thought to make the bed with legs at the foot only, and rest the head on the higher floor of the gable. But that might look odd and would interfere with the pretty bed skirt I want to make. So then I thought of raising the foot of the bed on a platform (I actually saw a picture of a Gothic style bedroom that had the bed raised on a platform). Then I wondered how it would look to raise the whole floor of the bedroom an inch to align it with the gable floor. The ceiling is high enough, I think, if the little people are careful not to bang their heads on the slopes of the roof :) Plus, the false floor is a perfect place for a secret compartment I want to have somewhere under the floorboards. Now Im thinking of doing that with the floor, but not all the way to the back of the house, leaving maybe 3 inches where it steps down to the original floor height. In the lower level could be a little closet/dressing area on one side (not enclosed but just suggested with a little bit of curtain) and on the other side, a place for a wash stand with pitcher & bowl & chamber pot, which is all this house has for a bathroom. What do you think, is that trying to cram too much into a small room?