17 Baseboard molding hides mess

abloom

I used plain craft sticks as molding around the floor, and they hide the cracks where things didn't fit together perfectly. I love how the floor now extends into the gable! Sure wish I had painted the gable floor to match while I could get at it, but there's no way I can get in there to do it now, and I'm not taking that gable apart again! It's an old and weathered house, and probably some former owner had to rebuild the porch at some point and used different wood from the original. It won't show much anyway, once I get the bed in there. The gable is wide enough for a 1:12 scale double bed, but it won't fit with tall posts like these, so I'm planning to make a narrower bed. Bed sizes weren't standardized back in the day, were they?

From the album:

Making Orchid Gable Level with Floor, 2 Ways

· 19 images
  • 19 images
  • 0 comments
  • 10 image comments

Recommended Comments

I love your work. This house has such character already. Go for the narrower bed, I always find making furniture to fit the room works better than forcing true 1:12 scale furniture where it won't fit.

Wow! Love what you are doing with the Orchid. I have never liked the raised area in the gable. I think I will be doing a rehab of my old Orchid in the future thanks to being inspired by yours! Great work!

Thank you! Kathryn, I agree about the 1:12 furniture. I'm finding that going a little small is better than a little large. The house itself isn't quite to scale. Even the old houses that are only one room deep are usually more than 10' across. Paula, I'd love to see what you do with your Orchid.