dollhouse stucco

nechee

What does everyone use for stucco? I was looking at some jars of dollhouse stucco but I think I would need a lot since I am going to stucco the outside of my Beacon Hill. Is there a cheaper alternative then using dollhouse stucco?

I used stucco patch that I got from Home Depot on my Orchid. It's about $6 for the tub, and one should do you for a whole house. It's also premixed, which is nice, and it's a nice grey so you an tint it, or not, depending on your preference. I would try thinning it a smidge to see if it will apply better (that's what I'll try next), it was kind of cumbersome.

Dollhouse stucco: expensive dollhouse stucco from the jar

sand mixed in paint

spackling compound

drywall mud

single layers of facial or bathroom tissue and paint

Do an advanced search using "stucco".

I do a lot of stucco work on my dollhouse. I'm a huge fan of the Greenleaf stucco mix. I just add the colour of paint that I want right into the stucco. The Orchid dollhouse took about 1/2 cup of stucco mixed in with the paint. I've just stuccoed the outside of my Adams with stucco - I used only 1/4 cup of stucco mix added to my paint. What I really like about this product is that it does not crack. I just mix it to the thickness that I want and use a large paintbrush to brush it on. I then do swirls or whatever other pattern I want. I use a smaller paintbrush to get in around the window, door and trim areas. So far I've not even used up one whole jar of stucco mix and I've used it on the: Orchid, Adams and Workshop kits.

Adding paint to the stucco mix takes the colour down a notch or two, so if you can't achieve the colour that you want by mixing stucco and paint, you can just add white paint to the stucco. Afterwards paint with your choice of colour.

-Susanne

Baby powder mixed into paint works like a charm! Cheap too - you can get a large container of it at the $1 store. I use a mix of baby powder & paint to do the ceilings in my dh's and anywhere that I want stucco. After mixing the powder into the paint I just paint it on the wall and once the wall is covered I use a dry sponge & pounce the sponge on the paint to create the desired stucco effect. The sponge pouncing isn't really necessary if you use plenty of powder in your paint, but I like the effect.

I can't take credit for the idea - I read it somewhere (possibly on this forum) but can't recall where now.

You have to like the smell of baby powder when using this method though - cause the baby powder scent lasts quite awhile!

• Like 1

I got a pretty big bag of this sand texture stuff from Menards or Home Depot. You mix it with the paint and Voila!...instant stucco. I've used it for quite a few projects and still have yet to put a sizeable dent in the bag. I think it MAY have costed $4 or $5.

You can see pictures of how it looks in my QA album as well as my Magnolia album.

The only thing is, you have to get the consistency just right so that it's thick enough to look like stucco, but not too thick so as it's not spreadable.

I love the smell of baby powder so I will be able to use that trick. Can the Stucco Patch stuff be easily painted over in the colour I want?

The stucco patch is really easy to paint, and it's really easy to tint the color you'd like as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, 20-22 years ago, when I started building "The Harrison" the tip I got was to use white paint, and cover it with one-ply inexpensive facial tissue. One layer thick, if tissue is to large, (like over windows, etc.) just cut off excess when the paint dried. Now I have space in my house to resume working on it, and the "tissue" stucco has held up wonderfully over the past two decades. I couldn't be more pleased. I got this tip from an experienced builder in North Carolina when my husband was in the service. Her store was called "Tidbits." Haven't looked on line to see if the store was still around. (I was also pleased to find that Greenleaf is still around, and that "The Harrison" and "The Fairfield" are still available!

ive used grout for real house tiles with great results, just spray with a clear sealer once your done to avoid flaking. check out my pizza place in my gallery.

• 1 year later...

It's been a long time since anyone posted here, but I wanted to thank everyone for the great suggestions. I have a question about the use of baby powder. When my kids were babies (31+ years ago!) baby powder was made of a mineral substance, talc. Since that time, there have been a lot of questions about whether talc is a possible cancer risk. Johnson baby powder and (I assume) other popular brands no longer have any talc in them. The main ingredient these days is cornstarch, and I'm wondering if it wouldn't have a tendency to cause yellowing over time.

To anyone thinking of using sand and paint, it's important to note that if you live near the seashore, that kind of sand has salt which might react with your other substances in unexpected ways.

I have had a little experience in the "full scale" house using drywall mud, and it's cheap -- especially since I have more than half a gallon of it still usable. My question about that is: would it have a tendency to crack? I am in the middle of putting together a Jefferson dollhouse kit that was in the back of a closet for several years - alas. To make this colonial style house authentically pre-Revolutionary, I've learned that it would be more typical for it to have plastered walls rather than wallpaper. So I'm hoping to create a plaster look on the inside, which would be much easier to do before putting the house together, but since the boards flex some, I'm afraid if I use drywall mud, of for that matter, dollhouse stucco, the material might just fall off in chunks when I go to assemble the parts. Does anyone have any experience with that? I'm guessing that the tissue paper idea would be more durable for this situation, but I'm nervous about being able to make it look anything like plaster.

My avatar is the fireplace from the Jefferson kit, which I have covered with egg carton "stone".

Personally, I'm the laziest person you'll ever meet and I do everything the easy way.

So when it comes to stucco, I saw a big roll of stucco patterned wallpaper at the miniature store and Lisa informs me that for a couple dollars, you can also get a huge roll at Home Depot that also looks like stucco pattern. I know what I have here at home is just what I'm looking for - a sort of plaster look. I will wallpaper that on and then paint it next time I want stucco.

I have tried the paint and toilet paper trick, but I made the mistake of using spray paint and what a mess - never again! It looks great, but there has to be an easier way!

I still prefer the real deal - stucco in a little plastic pot.....you get it at the hardware store.....and if you find it dries out, just add some distilled water and mix and you have it back! And you can "color" it with acrylic paint in the pot or paint it after it is dry. The way I get it on me, Doug says it also makes a great mud pack as it smooths out those wrinkles nicely!

After FOUR attempts with various mediums I ended up buying a huge tub of Patching Plaster from wal-mart for $4. I hardly used any of it at all and it was so easy to work with and came out perfectly! Just spread a little one, use a stencil brush and pounce it gently and let dry. When it is fully dry, gently run a trowel over it to knock down the points and walah you have stucc! I learned this from Casey....she has TONS of interesting tutorials on her blog.