Needlepoint Binding Stitch ... HELP!!!

Natalie

I'm about finished with my first mini needlepoint rug (actually my first needlepoint of any kind) and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do a "binding stitch" on the edges. I have a couple sets of instructions from different places but I still can't get it and I'm starting to feel supremely stupid! It seems like the edge should be folded over first, but hmmm, then I can't make the graph instructions make any sense. Anyone have a good way to explain the complexities of this stitch...I'm starting to get really sad :( .

I have been doing it the easy way for years and I finish rugs for other people the same way. Simply block the rug to square. Turn it over to the wrong side. Run a line of white glue over the outer two rows of stitching and a few beyond. Smear it with your finger. It won't bleed through to the front. Then let it dry and carefully cut along the outer edge of the last row of stitches. It is scary the first time you do it, but it is really so much better for rugs because if you set a chair on the edge, it doesn't wobble. When you have the cutting done, Run a line around the edge with a perminent pen that matches the edge stitch to cover the whiteness of the canvas.