Is There a Tutorial on Making Knotted Rugs?

woodland_miniatures

I've searched and looked around and KNOW I remember seeing such a thing, but canNOT find it. Feel like I'm just blundering around, but after looking at some of the miniature knotted rugs that turned up when I googled and remembering what some of you all have done with the technique here, I'd really love to try it.

Can someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks so much!

Oh, and please don't point me toward videos - I just can't watch them with the snail-like dial-up connection I have. Alas, all the things I'm missing...

Mary, can you make a French knot? I really like the effect of the flat petit-point on my rugs, but I don't seem able to make consistantly sized knots. Wendy and Shelly, among others, make great knotted rugs, and you might try an advanced search for knotted rugs using one of them.

Mary, Most of the ones I have seen were french knots done with a single strand of embroidery floss. I do mine with 2 wrap Bullion knots using Gutterman's regular sewing thread. They lay flater more like hooked wool strips. I looked at a close up of a real hooked rug and did the stitches in varying directions like the real rug. Someone else may know another way. Hugs, Barbara

Mary! I finally found this thread again!

The way I do mine is find a picture that you want to turn into a rug. Get some white or cream linen cloth, trace your picture into the center of a piece of cloth, you want the cloth big enough to go into a small hoop. Then place the linen into your hoop and keep it taut....Now you just start making your french knots, the secret to great knots is to hold the thread tight!

I love doing these because I can watch tv and do them...

Thank you all so much, especially for the link to Teresa Layman's website. I'd run into her kits and they are just beautiful - maybe I'll get one to start with, and maybe the DVD, too. It sounds like a fun thing to do, and the results are lovely (beautiful rugs, Shelly and Holly).

Off to go drool over the website :giggle:

Wow, Shelly! That's dedication. It is gorgeous! You should be very proud of your work.

Thank you Brae, I love doing these as I said before..it was a long 14 monthes though to tell you the truth.

Teresa Layman has really developed her business quickly. I was lucky enough to take a class in which she was a fellow student and just starting. This was just a couple of years ago at Philidelphia and she was just getting started. I ordered a couple of small rug kits from her at the time and I am so pleased to see she has become another successful business lady in the miniature world.

Mary! I am so sorry, got sidetracked and forgot to send in the photo I promised...this rug took me over a year to complete, it is all french knots more than 87,000 of them in fact...post-72-1263258703_thumb.jpg

its absolutely beautiful but it sounds like too much work and patience for me. I'll stick with my punch needle :(

• 11 months later...