Curiosity about 1/2" scale

CatColorado

I tried again and it may be that the rooms are so small the half scale furniture looks to big.

Pictures would help us see what looks off to you. Have you measured floor to ceiling heights? Most 1:24 houses have 4 to 5 inch floor to ceiling heights, which translates to an 8 to 10 foot ceiling in real life. 1:24 scale furniture should have dimensions that are proportional to this. Here is an example. This half scale buttercup (Tudor Cottage) has a floor to ceiling height of 4" (so eight foot ceiling in real life). This Bespaq furniture is very well made and accurate to scale, and looks right in this house.

post-15386-0-92905300-1426904076_thumb.j

I tried to add pics but it says files to big.

Libby you probably need to resize your images. I use my iPhone to take photos and then transfer them to my iPad, but before I try to upload them I resize them to get the file size down. If you are trying to upload an image to this thread, I've found that the file size needs to be small to be successful.

I hope this helps. :)

5" floor to ceiling is nice and roomy for half scale. :D

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I'm desperately looking for a Victorian style kitchen sink in 1:24 scale...something along this line (but doesn't have to be exact). I'd be more than happy to build from a kit. I've looked at a bunch of sites that I have bookmarked with half scale goodies and no luck! Thanks for your help!

I don't know who makes it, but I have one in half scale similar to this: http://www.miniatures.com/1920s-Porcelain-Sink-P17030.aspx

I snapped the legs of and am going to make fancier ones like in the photo you posted.

If you can't find that (or don't like the big backsplash) it would be relatively easy to make a sink like that out of basswood. Check out the tutorial here: http://miniatures.about.com/od/model-kitchen-accesories/ss/How-to-Make-a-Farmhouse-Sink-in-Dollhouse-Scale.htm

For legs you could use spindles painted black, or maybe aluminum wire combined with beads.

• 3 months later...

Hi half-scalers!

I'm so excited to have just finished the first floor construction of my 1:24 Victorian townhouse! It isn't fully decorated by a long shot, but I am loving how it looks! New picts in my gallery...

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
19 minutes ago, Elsbeth said:

I thought I'd stick this post in a 1:24 thread. I just came across the cutest little 1:24 stair kit...a winding cottage stair kit and it is so cute it is killin' me! lol! I want it in 1:12 and 1:48 scale, too!

https://www.petitepropertiesltd.com/1/24th-cupboard-stairs-kit.html

And only $14.

That's a fabulous site.  I'm in love with this:  https://www.petitepropertiesltd.com/1/48th-pumpkin-cottage-the-enchanted-range.html

13 minutes ago, claireliontamer said:

I have ordered several times...love all the tiny things I have gotten. I am working in quarter scale at the moment and their kits are so easy and clever to put together. 

I love those enchanted cottages! They seem to have more variety in 1:48 houses, but they have some really great little 1:24 furniture kits for nice prices.

I like this 1:48 house: https://www.petitepropertiesltd.com/la-maison-de-ville.html

And I love those stairs (1:24) and LOVE this 1:24 sink kit for $9:

https://www.petitepropertiesltd.com/1/24th-scale/1/24th-double-sink-cabinet-with-opening-cupboards-false-draws.html

Gaaaah so cute!

• 3 weeks later...

Half scale is the best! Significantly smaller than 1:12 if you're running out of room, but still big enough to have a lot of detail. If you have any burning questions, ask away. :)

The other nice thing about 1:24 is that often working components just aren't practical; I confess feeling initial guilt when I made my itty sideboard with just suggested drawers:

diningroom.JPG

but I got over that real quick!

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

The other nice thing about 1:24 is that often working components just aren't practical

So true.  I love when things actually work, but it's just a bonus.  It doesn't stress me out when the drawers and doors don't actually open; I figure nobody's going to be going through them anyway!  Half scale is wonderful, Jennifer, and you do such beautiful work creating your own minis that I'll bet you'd do well at it.  Hope you give it a try!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,  My name is Phyllis and I live in Virginia.  Years ago I owned a dollhouse shop in Waldorf, MD.  I had a super customer that dealt in 1/2" scale.  He first started off with the Fairfield.  He made all of his own furniture for it.  He used toothpicks for legs.  He used the mesh from a baseball cap for wicker chairs.  Small scaled fabric for upholstered furniture.  Using mat board (same as what a picture mat is) he cut and made sideboards, dressers, etc.  Hanging ceiling lights are tulip shaped beads hanging from gold thread.(non-electrical)  Scalloped lace at the windows and doors.  He used anything from paper to card stock to paper punches to add details.

Wow, Phyllis!  I also had to make everything I put into my Fairfields,  as all the ready-made stuff was too mall to work with the kit and 1:24 DIY projects I'd made.  I hope you'll introduce yourself to us in the Newcomers' Forum.