Greenleaf's Fifth Annual Spring Fling Contest

Ohhhhhh :) it is a FANTABULOUS kit, all the possibilities within the extras as well, lots and lots of ideas that needs to be mulled over with the sketchpad as well as checking the shipping quotes :lol: Doing happy dance!!!

THANK you to all involved making yet another absolutley stunning Spring Fling possible, and with the extra time added (as in almost a month after school is out, now that is sheer bliss!)

HUGS

*Agrees with Anna :blink: its fabulous!! i have the sketch pad out ....just gotta decide if i want to go small or all out!! :(

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow I can't wait to get mine! As soon as I saw it in the email, I knew what had to be done with it ! Boy I hope it turns out the way it is in my head lol. Always, a problem , my head and hands not talking lol.

Brandaen

oooo Jo same here!!! so many different ideas...which one to go with!! this kit is so versatile it could be anything!!! I had a plan and idea before i saw the main house and now...well...i have no idea :) am hanging off ordering till the weekend so i can decide :(

Okay, to begin with.....for whatever reason, I have a very hard time using this 'add reply' on my computer. Sorry I don't even know how to use smiley faces and all that fun stuff. I enjoy everyone elses though :)

I am wondering about something about the judging here. Last year, the point was made that we should do whatever we wanted, not worry about if it had been done before even, just do what felt right because the entry was judged on our own interpretation of whatever design we went with. The Baslow Ranch to me appeared to not be nearly as fancy as many entries. Simply put, what won it for me was the fact it was PERFECT. It looked like that is exactly how the kit was supposed to look at its finest. Now, this year, the email says entries will be based on originality. Now in my mind, that would mean the Baslow would never have made it because it was 'ordinary'. Well, that's what I want to do with my entry. I want to make something ordinary and hope that my artistry shows half as beautifully as the talented miniaturist who captured last years kit so perfectly.

So, what's the deal???? Is it different this year? Are they looking for unique, original and imaginative interpretations? Not beautifully put together ordinary ideas? I'm being confused but that's okay. I understand us artistic types do that when we are on creative overload. And, overload is putting it mildly. I couldn't finish all my ideas for this years contest if I had a hundred years to do it and I'm not sure when I will sleep again.

This is starting to really get exciting!!!!!!!!!! I don't care how they judge it, this years kit is the best yet, beyond my wildest dreams, so over the top inspiring I CAN'T WAIT TO FINISH!!!!!!!

I have a question about the content. Say you make the house into a location from a movie, for example lets use something hugely unproportionate, "Hogwarts School of Witchcraft & Wizardry" from harry potter. will it not win because of copyright reasons? or if it did win, would it have to be named something more generic like "Wizard School?" What I'm trying to say is, are there any restrictions that would prevent us from winning, or prevent us from naming it whatever we want? I wasnt going to enter the contest at all because of money and space issues but my idea can be done fairly inexpensively and the extended deadline is awesome too!

I say dont overthink it...have fun with it and forget about the winning of anything ...the point of the whole thing is to have fun, let your creativity take over and see all the fabulous interpretations everyone comes up with :)

Woohoo! Mine is ordered and I know just what I want to do with it. Still afraid the idea may not be unique to me, but afraid to look at galleries because I want all of my ideas about it unique to me. I guess it doesn't really matter if the broad idea has already been used... I plan to have a lot of fun with the build doing it my way.

Jen as far as I am aware you can add what you like to change the kit as long as the original kit can be seen - have a look at last years entrants, many people made it 2 storey or added other extensions. I wouldn't advise adding a whole other kit house (especially a non GL one) however.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I cared about winning. I just care about what Greenleaf is asking for. When they mentioned originality I wondered if I should change my slant on the kit a little. A contest is a contest, after all, and there's gotta be a little bit of respect toward what the people holding the contest want :) I mean, shucks, what if they laugh at me??? :(

If I finish and enter on time that's winning enough for me :lol:

Morgan

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I cared about winning. I just care about what Greenleaf is asking for. A contest is a contest, after all, and there's gotta be a little bit of respect toward what the people holding the contest want :)

If I finish and enter on time that's winning enough for me :(

Ditto :lol: in my case it's about when I do the kit. If there's no chance of winning, I will do it another time but if doing a movie themed project has a shot at winning, I will compete.

Ha! Such Turmoil...well me too.!! I love this kit,have a fairly good idea of what I want to make,have copied pictures so I can decide what's to be added or not.I have a theme but not

anything specific in mind...yet!!! I have a headache and I'm bouncing in my seat.So exciting!!

Haven't ordered yet but am about to.Yup,this is my favourite kit so far!!!! :)

PS..and if anyone wants a good laugh...when GL mentioned a' base'-I thought they meant a platform to put the project ON!! Hahahahahaha...I don't know where my brain wanders

off to........... :(

... When they mentioned originality I wondered if I should change my slant on the kit a little. A contest is a contest, after all, and there's gotta be a little bit of respect toward what the people holding the contest want :) ...

Morgan

Morgan, I believe that "originality" has always been something Greenleaf looks for in a Spring Fling entry. The Baslow Ranch was a beautiful, original creation - just perfect, as you say. :( I think they are asking us to build something that means a lot to us - that comes from the heart. Which kind of makes the sky the limit! That's how I take it, anyway.

I don't plan on entering this year, but the kit and all the additions are certainly exciting - I will look forward to viewing the entries.

PS..and if anyone wants a good laugh...when GL mentioned a' base'-I thought they meant a platform to put the project ON!! Hahahahahaha...I don't know where my brain wanders

off to........... :)

Actually, I did... I just didn't have enough time to pull it off. I was behind the eight ball from to start to finish. I was also concerned about over complicating the ordering process. The idea was to provide a project that everyone could bash. Though some ideas got left on the black board, I think we hit where we aimed.

Thanks!

Dean

I think we all agree that we do this hobby because we love it. Winning something would just be a bonus on top of the prize. And we're proud of what we do. My work is certainly not even within binocular distance of artisan quality but I do the best I can and have fun doing it. I improve each time I start a new project.

I certainly don't want to offend anyone here because I love EVERYONE's work and am inspired by so many of you. But the one thing that kinda saddened me in the HBS contest were the extremes between the winners and honorable mentions.

The winners just blow me away. What incredible talent and creativity! Only divine intervention would have inspired me to even think of a tree house or a garage or a multi-room cottage or a lumber mill. These creations deserved to win. They were amazing.

And again, I mean no disrespect. But I could never hope to compete with these folks. It like the difference between homemade biscuits and Hungry Jack biscuits. They both taste great but there's just no comparison.

Ignoring all the hoopla surrounding the 2nd place winner, she kept the basic form and "decorated" (for lack of a better word) it. Just like Morgan said about the 2010 Spring Fling, Baslow Ranch.

Perhaps for 2012 Greenleaf and HBS could consider 2 categories... a blow-it-out-of-the-water entry category and a how-would-you-"decorate"-this-structure category...

I thought the SAME thing!! I would LOVE if Greenleaf would create bases to support the houses and to use for the landscaping, etc.!

Depending on what type pf base you were thinking, you could use a picture frame (laying flat) and set the house in it. That is of course if you could find a frame big enough for your house. :)

Okay, I have a terrible time with this window. I just wrote all kinds of stuff and it magically went away!

Regarding prizes. Again, my prize is finishing. I will be thrilled for everyone who wins even if I don't come close. Different ideas for prizes were mentioned. Here's my two cents worth. I feel there should be X number of small prizes or gift certificates given to a category called something like 'Judges Noteables'. Every year the judges give out however many of this prize they feel appropriate to recognize whatever they felt should be shared with everyone. From a best fireplace, stained glass windows, landscaping, to perhaps a most original or even most colorful. Whatever makes the judges take notice and say 'that is the best....whatever'.

I think another specific category would be one for young people. I would love to encourage young people to enter. Now that the kits are getting this complex it would be fun to see something like the kids are only allowed to enter the main piece kind of thing.

I like the idea of something I think I remember Greenleaf judges saying last year. "We won't know what we are looking for until we see it".

Morgan :)

I think another specific category would be one for young people. I would love to encourage young people to enter. Now that the kits are getting this complex it would be fun to see something like the kids are only allowed to enter the main piece kind of thing.

Actually, if you check the galleries of the previous Spring Flings, you'll see one there for the year we had a junior category. We didn't have a lot of entries from youngsters but the ones we did were amazing! There are quite a few second generation builders amongst our members. It's always awesome to see!

Dean, you have surpassed yourself this year! From top to bottom, it's all perfect. With so many components to chose from the possibilities for this kit are endless. The a la carte selection definitely ensures that we're going to have some amazingly unique entries this year.

I'd like to take just a second and give a special thank you to Dean, Lisa, Bev and everyone else at Greenleaf. They've been working themselves to the bone to get this kit ready and to come up with so many different add on choices. It all looks so easy on the webpage but the behind-the-scenes work required to make this many pieces required a lot of midnight hours to get it ready. Every year Greenleaf goes a little bit further to make sure that "this year is the best ever!" And it always is! Just when we think it couldn't get any better, you come up with something even more spectacular. You deserve the biggest thank you ever!!!

<doing a little happy dance> Now that we've seen the kit and it's already on its way to some of you, let's get the party started!! Spring Fling is our favorite thing and this is the time to have fun! Greenleaf has taken care of all the details of the contest so all you need to do is let your creativity run amuck! (amuck, amuck, amuck, amuck) Even if this is the first time you've built a dollhouse, don't hesitate to join in. It always has been and always will be about miniaturists having a good time building a house together as a community. If you knew Dean, you'd know that the inspiration for the Spring Fling has *always* been his way of throwing a party for us.

Spring Fling is all about having a good time. We share, we laugh, we giggle, we have virtual slumber parties and we love every second of it. So shrug off your winter blues and let the Flingin' begin!

Oh, btw, I got a package in the mail today that I've been waiting for for a very long time. It's a new mini that isn't showing up in many stores yet but I thought it was just the coolest thing ever. It has ________ and ****** on the sides. How cool! I've had it sitting on the desk so I can look at it and then I thought about the outside stairs in the contest kit and thought, "OMG! Those would be perfect together if I were to make a ######## and add a couple of @@@@ to it! So I'm pretty psyched up already!

Deb

Oh, btw, I got a package in the mail today that I've been waiting for for a very long time. It's a new mini that isn't showing up in many stores yet but I thought it was just the coolest thing ever. It has ________ and ****** on the sides. How cool! I've had it sitting on the desk so I can look at it and then I thought about the outside stairs in the contest kit and thought, "OMG! Those would be perfect together if I were to make a ######## and add a couple of @@@@ to it! So I'm pretty psyched up already!

Deb

and so it begins!!!! :(

Fling On everyone Fling On!!! :)