Changing Garfield Windows

Mary11

Now that I have added a front door, and two french doors from Houseworks I want to put in nicer windows as well. What windows have any of you found to have worked the best? Did you have to do a lot with the existing openings? The doors fit in nicely without any adjustments I was wondering if the windows do as well? Thanks.

I had to adjust the opening when I added a Houseworks door to the interior of the Coventry Cottage. Measure all your window openings and then check the measurements in the HBS catalog for the component windows that will fit, or fit closest.

• 11 months later...

Glad to find that others have the same questions that I do on changing out the doors/windows for my Garfield. So far I only ordered one door (Houseworks). This is the door between the kitchen/dining room because I wasn't sure if it would fit properly but it looks like it will definitely work. Just wondered.....can I just take a measurement of the window and door measurements as I take them from each sheet and then match them up as closely as possible to the House Works doors/windows? I think I would have to have the actual replacement doors/windows so that I can determine if I should enlarge the openings, correct? Since I'm trying to decorate as I build I assume that I would put up the wallpaper first and then add the windows, right? Thanks for your help! I know you are the experts in building and this is all new to me!

In the case of the door, I laid it over the opening in the kit and traced around it, then cut the opening, then installed the wall. Then I decorated, then I installed the door. The problem I had was not prepping and decorating the shims to match the rest of the door trim, so they're noticeable. Since the components are made to work with 3/8" wood and Greenleaf kits are made from 1/8" wood, shims are necessary for fit and appearance.

• 3 weeks later...

HBS had a 15% sale thru yesterday so I went ahead and ordered a few windows and doors. One of them was the Palladian door which seems like it will be the closest fit to the Garfield front door opening plus I really liked the look of it. It has a fan transom window and an upper acrylic window in the door. I want to eventually do a stained glass window in it. The windows that I began to order will help me with most of the openings and sizes when I start on the walls.

Last week I slipped on some water or doggie drool and kerplunk I went so right now my right wrist is in an ace bandage. Luckily I didn't hit my head on the counter or break anything (that I know of) but it sure has been aching and I'm right handed! I was able to finish putting on the satin finish on my 1st floor staircase and one fireplace and next step is to add the glue. I'm really happy with the way it's turning out and the red chestnut stain is rich and warm. Hopefully next week I'll be able to do more with my right hand without it hurting!!!!!!! When I get more done I'll try to post some pics.

Hope all of you in the Northeast are OK with the big blizzard!

Guest Happy Heart

In the case of the door, I laid it over the opening in the kit and traced around it, then cut the opening, then installed the wall. Then I decorated, then I installed the door. The problem I had was not prepping and decorating the shims to match the rest of the door trim, so they're noticeable. Since the components are made to work with 3/8" wood and Greenleaf kits are made from 1/8" wood, shims are necessary for fit and appearance.

I'm cutting down door frames to fit. I'll let you know once the air is no longer blue :frusty:

I'm cutting down door frames to fit. I'll let you know once the air is no longer blue :frusty:

At least this time of year where you are, there's no danger of little birds passing overhead through the blue part falling stunned to the ground and being killed and eaten by feral cats!

BTW, hope you missed the bad storm.

Guest Happy Heart

At least this time of year where you are, there's no danger of little birds passing overhead through the blue part falling stunned to the ground and being killed and eaten by feral cats!

BTW, hope you missed the bad storm.

We're presently bearing the brunt of it.