Oregon newbie

Lasermom

Hey everyone. I'm very new and inexperienced. I've been longing to build my own dollhouse for a long time now, tap into my creative side. I was in an antique mall a few days ago and found a whole display of dollhouses and accessories. I made my first expensive mistake! I found a cute dollhouse kit I thought would be unique and special coming from an antique store… yeah right. When I returned home with my package I couldn’t wait to research it online. I quickly discovered that the $80 dollhouse kit I just bought, was a common dollhouse that had been sold at Walmart for $30!!! :frusty: I was terribly disappointed. Since the antique store doesn’t take returns I’m just going to have to make the best of it. So here I am, dying to make this a great house anyways. I have really big dreams for my little Orchid and reading some of your forum posts I think I will learn a lot from all of you and hopefully enjoy this new adventure and end up with my “dream house”. :D

Welcome Estella. Sorry you got ripped off at the antique shop but hey some things happen for a reason and maybe this house is going to be a gem that will be treasured for many years.

Its great that you have your own laser cutter, what do you use it for at the moment?

The Oregon City Antique Mall has a small display of minis in the back of the upstairs. The owner of the antique mall is such a nice lady and the place is great. I figure I learned a valuable lesson to research more first before I get so excited and be so impulsive. As for my laser cutting machine. Right now I've been using it for making all sorts of random things from Christmas ornaments to knitting needle guages (I'm an avid knitter). But my machine is huge and can do projects as large as shower glass doors.

Welcome neighbor! I have been a local miniaturist forever and a year. Oregon is a great place for miniatures. If you can't resist the coast, like me, Rocking Horse Mall in Lincoln City has miniatures. An excellent excuse to visit the coast. The owner is very kind and helpful. Also, the miniatures show in Portland every October is well worth going to. I would also like to suggest Greenleaf's Spring Fling which begins in a week or so. It is ALOT of fun and the interaction through this forum gives you the opportunity to get to know many miniaturists from all over as you work on a common project. Ok, so you're new. I think it was last years winner that it was only her second build. I wish you the best in this amazing and exciting hobby. Maybe I will meet you at the Rocking Horse one day :) Welcome, welcome, Morgan

I'm late, we just got back home yesterday. Welcome to the little family, Estella. Do go to the top of the page and click on the "Blogs" button and read the TWO Orchid building blogs. Also, in the Gallery there's an album of the white plastic version of the kit several of us have built. I also found another Orchid in a charity thrift shop someone had built with hot glue, so it's already falling apart, and I have it in my pile of rehabs to be done.

Hi Estella and welcome to Greenleaf.All of us have probably overpaid for a project at one time or another.I think you'll love the Orchis,though.It's a lovely kit.Many new friends here to give you a hand!! :wave:

welcome :D you will love it here. after you check out the other orchids and want to see certain peoples galleries click on their name and forge ahead..... you will love that too.

even though the lady is nice I would say it is not an antique. bummer on cost.

need to get busy here.

take care,

LindaC