Official Spring Fling 2012 Update (merged topic)

More elaborate than 2011 kit? Less elaborate?

What do you all think it might be, and what are you hoping for?

Laser-cut seems to have opened the door for so much more, so I was just wondering what the atmosphere in the forum might be as to the possibilities....'more' or 'less'

When is this announced? I seem to be thinking First Day of Spring???

O.K., now I remember there was much debate l/y on what specific day it was, i.e. first day of spring is on a Sat./Sun. and we didn't see kit until later that week... we need a release date... ;)

Edited by raspberry

Well, March 20th is first 'official' day of Spring..so am assuming it will be announced somewhere round that time. And that is assuming they are even doing one this year. Haven't heard even a whisper of it so far, but then, I am pretty much out of the loop.

Personally, I'm hoping it is somewhat smaller. Although I have no time for it anyway...I HAVE to finish Gull Cottage by order of 'the King'..LOL, but am always interested in the Fling..'tis one of my favorite things about Spring. :D

I always love the Spring Fling contest !!!

It is such a freeing feeling to create these to become anything we can dream up.

It's also fun just knowing that bunches of other folks are creating too and every one will be wonderful and different.

I'm kinda embarrassed to admit that, though I have purchased 4 Flings, I've only fully completed one, although I entered 2.

The others are all in varying stages of completion.

So in addition to the laser cut product, what they really need to come up with is a "time stretcher" so we all have plenty of uninterrupted building time. Oh and also a "money stretcher" so we can all afford the kit and all the supplies and all the "pretties" we need to complete our Fling.

Sigh ...

(psst, that's what thrift stores are for...)

Lucky you... I have NEVER encountered anything in a thrift store that could be used in DH'ing...not even something "real" that could pass as a miniature... :(

I don't think I have any opinions on what it looks like, I never have any ideas of what I could do with it... I saw the "garage" and didn't like that front wall, and saw the "chalet" and didn't like the roofline... I have no unique ideas!!! I like to see what someone does with it, (like after the contest is over) and re-do that but change things a bit... :p

...what are you hoping for?

I am hoping for something smallish, like the footprint of the arbor (2007 SF) or the little hut (2008 SF)... My craft room (I am not even calling it a guest room anymore) is mighty crowded!

I am looking forward to seeing it. I was thinking about entering the HBS again this year, but I don't really like my ideas. I will see what happens with the SF and just spend some time trying to get caught up on what I have in my "queue."

QUOTE: {I am hoping for something smallish, like the footprint of the arbor (2007 SF) or the little hut (2008 SF)...}

Me too - smaller would be great for my time constraints as well as space ones.

Whatever it is, it will be wonderful I'm sure. MiniMan never fails to treat us well.

Should be soon. The first day of Spring is only 17 days away.

I do have a theme :) And everything to go with it BUT no $$ even if the kit would work.

Propane and electric are taking too much of social security $$. What a juggeling act. hahahahaha

I'm guessing its a tower this year - hey that would be exciting - could make it into a lighthouse or Rapunzel's tower or part of a castle or an add on to an existing victorian. What does everyone else think it will be?

• Like 1

I hadn't planned to enter last year...then I saw the kit. To that end, I don't plan to enter this year since I have a number of projects I want to finish and/or start this year. And, there's really only one idea I've had floating in my head for the past few years, so if this year's kit works for that theme I am in trouble. :lol:

I'm guessing its a tower this year - hey that would be exciting - could make it into a lighthouse or Rapunzel's tower or part of a castle or an add on to an existing victorian. What does everyone else think it will be?

Oooh! Love the idea of a tower! Small footprint, could be combined with any number of kits or as a stand-alone piece.

(psst, that's what thrift stores are for...)

thrift stores and yard sale toy boxes..... LOVE both !!! I always manage to find something and don't need another thing.

I'm kinda hopin' maybe they will come out with something with a Southwestern flair to it. Or something like a castle keep.

Or just something with a round door...am a HUGE sucker for rounded doors. Perhaps a hobbit house...now THAT might be FUN!!! :groucho:

Or...Maybe they should just go back to plain and simple..and pick one of the smaller houses they already make, and say "Run with it!"

At this point, I am thinking it is gettin' late...and we haven't heard even a peep, so might not be anything. Dean usually throws us a clue by now. Don't know..

• Like 1

He made reference to it briefly in an e-mail. I asked for a quote for shingles and the shipping is twice the cost of the actual shingles so he suggested I wait and if I bought the Spring Fling he could ship them together. So I'm sure there will be a SF but I have no idea what it will be.

Come on Dean, give us some hints.

I'm more than sure he is, Holly. Poor guy. I'll bet even the mere 'thought' of Spring sends shudders and shivers throughout the GL building.

I'm sure when he is ready, he will throw us a bone

I am hoping to enter this year. Last years kit did not speak to me at all so I am hoping this one speaks loudly enough that I can ask for it for my birthday. I love that my birthday is so close to the spring fling. :D :jumping:

After 8 months of real life craziness I am sooooo ready for Spring Fling. Now if only the project is small enough I can make room for it. Isn't it time for a half scale kit? Please Dean, hear us begging for something we have room for. My husband and I both love last years entry and feel really sad that whether I enter this year or not, I only have a couple places left for 1" scale builds. Are there really that few of us into smaller scales?