Hello everyone! I have been building dollhouses for a few years and really enjoy this hobby. I recently purchased a partially put together Fairfield with the intention of "rehabbing" it! Upon closer inspection, I realized I would have to dismantle the whole house because the walls and floors didn't meet - there were large gaps! I then noticed that this was due to the fact that the tabs were not fitted into the slots properly. I was also given a box with parts - unfortunately, I was missing the instructions, the roof pieces, and I think some trim pieces. Some of the parts, I think, don't belong to the Fairfield! I ordered the instructions from Greenleaf and received them. I have now also ordered the sheets I need with the missing roof parts. I started on this project last evening. First, I removed all the siding and shingles that were on the exterior using a heat gun. Everything came off without any problems. My next step is to take the whole house apart now that I can see all the slots and tabs. I can't wait to get home today to start this next step!! I have decided to upgrade the windows and doors and am wondering if anyone can tell me where I can get some that will fit the Fairfield. Well, I have babbled enough! :blahblah1: It's nice to be here and I look forward to looking around and seeing some of the wonderful houses that others are working on! Beth

Hello and welcome. It sounds like you have quite a project ahead of you. I am sure the great people here will point you in the right direction on where to get the parts you are looking for. Post pictures of your progress, it is fun to watch things all come together.

Welcome Beth! Sounds like quite a project. But will be worth it, the Fairfield is a wonderful house. I have learned that for me, it is much harder to "rehab" than to do it yourself, because then you spend so much time fixing other people's mistakes!

Since you are taking the whole house apart, I would look at it first and see which areas seem like they will be hard to get to and consider decorating those as you assemble. Especially the stair/foyer area, and that upstairs hallway. I decorated everything before assembly, and I'm very glad I did. The one thing I didn't do was do windows first, and the one in the hallway was a bit tricky to reach afterwards.

The Fairfield is actually designed to take Houseworks windows and doors. The only thing is that the Fairfield is thinner plywood, and you will have to pad the walls or add extra trim. Miniatures.com actually sells a component pack for the Fairfield that includes all the windows and doors. They should have a 20% sale coming up soon so you can order it then. :)

http://www.miniatures.com/12-Scale-Fairfield-Upgrade-Component-Set-P18064.aspx

So, what other houses have you built? When you have made 5 posts you can start an album. we love to see pictures! :)

Welcome to the little family, Beth. My last kit build was two Fairfields as mirror images of each other. Do use a good carpenter's wood glue when you rebuild it, and do use masking tape to do a dry fit first (so the tabs will fit into the slots). I disassembled a Pierce with a heat gun and I'm rebuilding it with Probond and steel staples.

Thanks for all the welcomes! I will post pics as soon as I am up to the required 5 posts! It is definitely harder fixing someone else's mistakes! But, I am up for the challenge!! When I saw this little Fairfield, it just looked so sad and I figured I would give it some love. It is a cute little house; I really like all the little rooms and how they are set up. I was looking around on the forum, and the one thing I did see mentioned quite often is to decorate as you go. I didn't have to worry about this when working on my other houses. First, they are all 1" scale so the rooms are big enough to get your hands in after they are put together. I will definitely plan ahead and do as much decorating as possible as I go along! I think I am going to order wallpaper tonight! I will also check out the Houseworks windows. I am also thinking of putting in a different staircase - any suggestions on that? I am thinking of making it a Bed and Breakfast. I am in the process of working on an Apple Blossom, Blueberry Pie, Bungalow, Gas Station, 1/2" scale farmhouse, and a 1/2" scale house that someone build years ago (another rehab project). I just finished a Glenwood that was for my mother. There I go again!! :blahblah1: I have been enjoying looking at everyone's pics of their projects. There are certainly a bunch of very talented people here.

I used the staircase to make a pattern for stringers to make stairs to the third floor in one of the two I built and used turned toothpicks for baluster rails. I made treads and risers from craft sticks.

Tracy - I can see alot of planning is involved to decorate before assembly! Did you wire your house also, and if so, how? I am going to use tapewire, but I am unsure where to start! In the other houses I have done (1" scale), I ran the tapewire when after the whole house was done. I checked out the Miniatures.com link, I was thinking I would try to make the windows, but after checking out the link, I think I will end up ordering the upgrade component set. It has everything you need!

Holly - Do you have pictures of your mirror image Fairfield? I would love to see them. I would also love to see pictures of your staircase. As for glue, I usually use Alene's glue - I can't remember the exact name but it is a quick dry. I think whoever put this house together used hot glue - what a gooey mess!!

Julie - Welcome! I think you are going to love it here. I have already received so many helpful tips and hints, which is great because this is the first Greenleaf house I have done and they are very different from others I have done in that I haven't had to plan out all the decorating before assembly! This little rehab is going to be quite the challenge, but I know with all the help I can receive here, it will be a success. :D

Welcome Beth.

What a wonderful project you are doing-- you will find lots of help from the people on this forum. Post pictures of your progress, it is fun to watch the building come alive.

B)

Judith - thanks! I will post pictures of my progress soon. I have only just finished taking the whole thing apart! Now to clean up all the glue. I have removed the wallpaper and just need to clean up the outside. I looked at your albums - WOW - you have done quite a few really big houses and they look wonderful. I also enjoyed your blog. You are so talented.

I didn't wire my Fairfield. I didn't furnish it either. It was for my husband, and he really just wanted the outside done. I wanted the inside at least papered and painted. I'm not sure how you would be able to use tape wire if assembling already papered. You could make templates of your walls, build and tape wire, then put the templates in place with double-sided tape. Or you could run round wire after assembly. Run the wires behind trim, and that central fireplace makes a great place to run wires down to underneath the house to mount a power strip.

I'm sure others will have some other ideas. You may want to post a new topic in General Mini Talk on that when you get to that part.

I don't wire my houses. I have pictures, but when I got the film processed the CD burner was out of order and no repairman in sight so I never got to load them into the dumbputer so I could load them into my album.

I checked out the Miniatures.com link, I was thinking I would try to make the windows, but after checking out the link, I think I will end up ordering the upgrade component set. It has everything you need!

They are having a 20% off sale starting Monday. Coupon Code N1312 Ends April 23.

Tracy - uggghhhhh . . . I placed my order this morning. I then realized I got an email from them saying I could save 15% on my first order. I emailed them asking if I could get the discount on the order I placed online this morning. I should have waited until I got home from work today to place the order - that way, I would have seen your post first and saved the 20%.

Hi Beth,

Do consider wiring your dollhouse. Wiring can, and will be a challenge, but when you see your dollhouse in lights! WOW -- there is nothing like it!

B)

Judith - I've wired all my houses. Of course, they were easy because they were 1" scale. I am definitely wiring this little Fairfield! Actually, the wiring is one of my fav things to do. I also just started playing around with lamp making. I have gotten to know the girls that own the miniature shop I go to quite well . . . we have become good friends. On their birthdays, I gave them stained glass ceiling lights that I made. They now want me to make some to sell in their shop. They have also asked me to teach an electrical class (in the summer, they have classes). I just wish I had more time to spend on the minis!!