Where to get paint

TCoyne65

Question is where to get the paint and the primer for your home? Can you go and get it at Lowes or Home Depot or would you suggest from the local Dollhouse store. I just boght "The Orchid" as my first and want to do a complete house not a raw one.

Any help you fine people have would be appreciaterd.

Thanks,

Toby

Hi Toby! I use the sample jars of paint with primer from Home Depot. You can do a whole outside of a house for $3! For individual rooms, you can use craft paint like Folkart or Cermcoat. Don't be afraid to try wallpaper too but never over bare wood.

You can prime / seal with any kind of regular latex housepaint. I use leftovers from my real house. I also use gesso as a primer. Others may use a sanding sealer. Just about anything works. The important thing is that you use something to seal the wood or the chemicals in it will begin to leach out in the form of dark brown spots on the finished painted or wallpapered surface.

Prime the surfaces that will NOT be stained. You can paint over stain, but you can't stain once the surface has been painted.

Especially for the outside of the house, satin finish paint works best for a "real" look. High gloss paint reflects the light and seems to magnify every tiny irregularity in the surface.

Yes, like the others, I generally just use either left-over paints from my "real" house painting (or I've gotten some from friends), or look for the sample paints at any of the home builder stores. There are specific "craft paints", but they can get expensive.

Other sources for paint include Big Lots, Habitat for Humanity ReStore (especially good for stain!), yard sales, sometimes thrift stores...

gosh Holly the HFH store in OKC is HUGE. I bought enough ceramic tile there at .25 each compared to 1.25 retail to finish my kitchen counter. LOVE that store but I haven't been for ages with it 100 miles. darn

I'm using a variety of paints. I get the regular Kilz spray primer (use in a well ventilated area) which goes down under paint or wallpaper. If I am painting a whole room I like real house paint, it just goes on better. I have a mixture of leftover paint I bought for my kitchen, paint samples I got at Home Depot, and some "oops" paints bought on clearance. I have also used craft paints because they come in so many colors and are easy to get, but they need multiple coats.

It doesn't really matter what you get as long as it is water-based. Don't get oil based paint or it will be smelly and you'll need solvents for clean up.

The one exception to that is the Kilz. I have tried the 'no smell' version of it and really can't recommend it for dollhouses. The primer came out with a spotty/lumpy texture (no matter how much I shook the can) and while that might work on a RL house wall it doesn't look good on a miniature wall.

Question is where to get the paint and the primer for your home? Can you go and get it at Lowes or Home Depot or would you suggest from the local Dollhouse store. I just boght "The Orchid" as my first and want to do a complete house not a raw one.

Any help you fine people have would be appreciaterd.

Thanks,

Toby

Thanks everyone, Its cool to see all the helpful people out there.

Thanks againg. . .