Expensive Dollhouse

Roxxie2

Thanks for posting the link! Just reading about that house was fascinating.

I'm not trying to be catty, because that really is a beautiful house, but I honestly think Colleen Moore's dollhouse is probably worth more. I prefer the small cottages and houses that feel "homey" myself, where I feel like I could just walk in and live there. But that's just me. And that doesn't mean I'm not going to check out the video tomorrow and drool over everything. But just to let you all know, I drool over the houses people here make, so....there ya go. You guys might not lay down real marble or real silver, but your stuff looks just as awesome.

• Like 2

Shades of one-upping Queen Mary's dollhouse!  In the photo of the wee bear rug the cloisonné pots were pretty. I'll put my glue & wire irises from Nutti up against that pot of paper flowers any day!

• Like 2

Its so far over the top I couldn't believe it!   A friend who knows I like minis sent the link.   I can't even imagine this much money let alone spent on a dollhouse!!!   Crazy!  I kept thinking that you could spend your money on so many things to help others than on this kind of crazy extravagance but it was interesting! 

What I like best is that it is being used to generate publicity and raise funds for Autism. It's a research for a disease near and dear to me. 

It is beautiful, no doubt about that. But I like our own Steve Panners rocking horse better than hers! 

• Like 2

Nice video. Thanks, Heidi. The narrator mentions that the house is going on an international tour, but I haven't been able to find any information as to where/when. Anyone know?

I'd love to know how the fires are done. Those are some realistic flames. 

In Heidi's link the flames didn't show up. I wonder if the effect in the other video was a bit of digital artistic license.

Nice video. Thanks, Heidi. The narrator mentions that the house is going on an international tour, but I haven't been able to find any information as to where/when. Anyone know?

All I saw was that holidays 2015 in NYC - http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/85-million-dollhouse-to-go-on-public-display-for-the-first-time-childrens-charities-to-benefit-300131420.html  What I found fascinating was that the tour will be different at each stop - because they have lots of objects in storage and they rotate them. How cool is that?

http://www.astolatdollhousecastle.com/fun-facts/

• It takes 2 days and 12 people to dismantle Astolat Dollhouse Castle and 2 days and 8 people to put it back together.
  • There are three times as many objects in storage at any one time than what is displayed in the Castle.

Hmmm... My son is going to NYC on a school trip in December. Wonder if we can convince a group of 17/18 yo boys to stop and see this and take pictures for me??

You are not signing up to chaperone? 

I wish... The school is so small, they never need parent chaperones. There are less than 50 students going on the trip, so there are enough teachers, admins, and even church admins to chaperone. One of the very few things I miss from having them in public school, not being able to chaperone these neat trips.

oh well, maybe one day I'll make it to NYC on my own...

That really is a beautiful dollhouse -or castle, as it may be. It doesn't necessarily need to be paved with gold for it to be so highly appraised. I think Colleen Moore's dollhouse had a book that was autographed by so many famous people, it's considered to be so valuable now it's kept in a vault and not in the dollhouse. I would imagine there's more than a few things like that in the Astolat. I wonder how much the insurance is on that, to take it on tour. I bet they have it insured with Lloyd's of London.

And somebody tell me those weren't Houseworks bay windows on the outside!

I just hope mine doesn't become that well done, though. That sounds weird to say, but if my house were that expensive and appraised for so much, I'd be afraid to get in there and play with it on account of I'm such a klutz and I know I'd break something.

What? I'm not world famous?!? Say it isn't so! Er, wait a minute. I'm not even a miniature artisan. Oh, well.....................

But I do have some Pete Aquisto silver that I'm putting in as trophies and I have a little gold key (charm) that will be in the entry hall. Does that count?