It's hard to believe i bought this kit about 4 years ago. i had wanted to wait until i could buy all the exterior trims/windows before starting the project. Which to me makes no sense now as that is a huge expense to anticipate at once. I got the building bug to work on it last weekend, so i got it done!
This past week i've ordered some shingles, but i know it wasn't going to be nearly enough, but at least i got different styles for the different areas i will be working on the exterior. It was an awesome surprise to find 3 bags of hexagon shingles yesterday (1000 pieces each no less) and another back of rectangle shingles....in addition to another bag of pointed tip shingles that i found the other day. I do believe i have most of what i want now! and PLENTY to do my project!
Overall, i have plans to shingle most of the exterior of the house. from pictures of real victorian houses i have seen this effect and love it. i did want to do siding on the first floor of the house but undecided as i've used siding before and haven't been happy with the results. the clapboard siding sheets overlap and jut out too much over each layer and you can see where each layer is applied. can't find anything on the market to use single pieces of siding. i have my greenleaf siding, but it's not the look i want to use on this house....so still debating on shingles for the whole exterior, stucco for the first floor or siding. I will have a stonework foundation.
i'll be deliniating each floor with strips of wood to break up the facade of the house, as well as a fascia all around the top with decorative trim of some sort.
The windows i used in the photos are swiped from another project that i'm working on, but this is the type of window i will be using.
I haven't attatched the addition at this point as i know i will be moving the house upstairs to my dollhouse room where all my building supplies are kept. it will be easier to transport. it fits really well together, it shows a gap in the photos, i didn't have it butted up against the house all the way. I haven't glued on the tower roof either as i want to shingle that sitting down, so i don't have to stand the entire time working on it. shoulda done that with my Queen Anne, but didn't. i'll deal with that house another time! The ceiling for the 4th floor rooms needs to be shaved down on length about 1/8 of an inch on both sides. when i put it in place it has to be manipulated and bows, so obvious too long for the space. on the 4th floor i'm going to extend the wall to the room on the left side so that i can put in a doorway to close that room off. I don't think i will do that with the other wall.
Anyway, finally sharing photos of my progress. the house is going to be massive.