LIGHTS!!

JenniferKennedy

What a day!! Drilling, wiring, splicing, tucking, taping, dremeling, vacuuming, hoping & praying; I HAVE LIGHTS! Instant-on lights, the kind you flip on with one switch! Everything worked the first try! I didn't even blow one fuse :D

Time to celebrate~ cheers!

• Like 7

From the album:

My First Dollhouse - Beacon Hill

· 83 images
  • 83 images
  • 0 comments
  • 423 image comments

Recommended Comments

Its a wonderful pic! Nice looking light fixtures too, how did you manage this in one day and what do you mean Instant on lights? how did you not mess up all the wallpaper if you just got started installing lights today? I really want to know your process because your results are spectacular!

• Like 1
Its a wonderful pic! Nice looking light fixtures too, how did you manage this in one day and what do you mean Instant on lights? how did you not mess up all the wallpaper if you just got started installing lights today? I really want to know your process because your results are spectacular!
Debora, I made the lights and hung them before the wallpaper...I just drilled a hole and ran the wires out the side and front of the house. (I did this a few weeks ago) So basically this morning when I started I had lights up (&wallpaper) but like 20something wires coming out of the outside of the house. I have an attachment for the dremel that "routes" paths in the (exterior) walls... I run the wires down through the paths and tape over, the exterior finish will hide the tape and wires. I will be more than glad to help you more if this is not clear!
Great job. Can't wait to see it with all the furniture.
Thanks! lol, I have no furniture! Im figuring in a few years, I will have figured out how to make it all!

Ok Now I understand how you did it, it looks great! Did you have to splice wires together since many fixtures don't have very long wires? I have never had luck with splicing. I have used the wire tape method before as well as hiding wires which is tricky to get them to the plug strip if they are short

• Like 1

Thanks! lol, I have no furniture! Im figuring in a few years, I will have figured out how to make it all!

If your furniture turns out half as good as your house and lights, it will be worth the wait!

• Like 1
Ok Now I understand how you did it, it looks great! Did you have to splice wires together since many fixtures don't have very long wires? I have never had luck with splicing. I have used the wire tape method before as well as hiding wires which is tricky to get them to the plug strip if they are short
I spliced a lot! Its very easy, I even spliced multiples (at least 3) in to one extention, that cut down a lot!

I spliced a lot! Its very easy, I even spliced multiples (at least 3) in to one extention, that cut down a lot!

I want to know more about this! how do you splice multiple lights in to one extension? Sounds like it would really reduce the number of wires I'll have to hide...

• Like 1
I want to know more about this! how do you splice multiple lights in to one extension? Sounds like it would really reduce the number of wires I'll have to hide...
All I know is I didnt know anything about this wiring business, took hubby to Hobby Lobby, he told me what to get and how to do it (hes a genius, btw ;) ). He said that it would work. OK, say you have 3 wires coming out of the house that you need to extend... split & prepare them as to splice, attach 3 right wires to one wire of extention, and 3 left to the other. Very simple (I hoonestly believe that I spliced 3 up on the 3rd floor into one, and then spliced that one on the ground floor with 2 others) girl, I got some electricity! The worse that can happen is a fuse will blow.

What type of dremel do you have? What is the attachment that you use to carve out for your wires? I have a dremel stylus but want to get a different dremel for Christmas.

• Like 1
What type of dremel do you have? What is the attachment that you use to carve out for your wires? I have a dremel stylus but want to get a different dremel for Christmas.
Libby, I have a cordless Dremel 8220, the bit is a burr bit or "cutter bit" its just a tiny ball with groves at the end of the bit, it cuts a perfect path without going all the way through. I also use the 36" Flex Shaft attachment, it allows me to get into the tight spaces.
Can I ask you where you got the glass panel door upstairs? Also did you change out the windows to working ones?
I made the door with "skinny sticks" and a piece of a plastic folder. There was no door (or place for a door) on that room. It was really easy! Im changing out some of the windows... yea, I need to do windows soon. haha Im already furnishing and the windows arent in!
  • Like 1

Thanks for getting back to me so soon. Just one more question...What R skinny sticks? I would love to make one, but I dont know how...

Thanks for getting back to me so soon. Just one more question...What R skinny sticks? I would love to make one, but I dont know how...
Skinny sticks are simply skinny popcicle sticks found in the craft sections. I can tell you how I did it, but Im playing this by ear too... this was actually the first thing I made from scratch. I basically measured the opening for the door and started there. The wood on the door is 2 identical pieces (the wood part that you see and the same on the backside) sandwiching one piece of plastic (I didnt cut the individual panes) You will have to use a ruler to space everything evenly, glue all your wood pieces together & paint before sandwiching the "glass" Hope this helps. Its basically trial and error, but consider it practice for the next piece!
  • Like 1