I made a bed!

Deb

At first glance, that sounds like I'm declaring that I finally got some house cleaning done, but let's face it.......house cleaning is something to pass the time while the glue is drying. ;) :p:blink:

No, I actually made a bed from wood and fabric and glue. I've never done anything like that before so I'm really excited. Can you tell? Does it show? Should I stop bouncing around like Tigger after a twelve pack of Code Red Mt Dew?

I saw a picture of a really gorgeous dressed four poster bed online somewhere and it occured to me that I could do that. So, I ordered the House of Miniatures four poster bed and put it together. Then I used posterboard, textured chinese silk, an assortment of lace and fringe and a couple of organza roses to make the canopy, drapes, bedspread, pillows and dust ruffle. Wanna see? I'm just so excited about it that if I don't show someone, I'll just burst! (the cat is totally uninterested and the hubby is asleep)

Deb (who should be going to her real bed instead of sitting here petting a mini bed)

post-329-1132744470_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

It is a stunning bed so you are more than entitled to be happy about it!!! Sounds like someone has been bitten by the "I can do that" bug LOL and now there is no end of all the kits and possibilities to furnish those roomboxes as well as houses that might lie in the future!

Doesn't it feel ever so much more rewarding to make a mini bed, compared with doing the house chores? If only....

So what are you aiming for as next mini project then???

;)

Hugs

Deb - you have every reason to be excited; you're bed looks fabulous! My experience is that you enjoy things even more when you make them yourself. ;)

Being new the the mini community, I noticed that you don't see much bedding available. Way to go on taking the incentive! <would add the happy man dance but don't know how :p >

Isn't that gorgeous! Deb, you should definitely be proud of yourself! Bedding is challenging -- that's why most of the nice stuff out there is artisanal and priced accordingly.

There's an official term in my family for the unable-to-stop-petting-the-bed phase. You are crooning over it. Crooning over a new creation or acquisition is an important part of the process and should be done fully. ;)

Ohhhhhh, awwwwww, Deb, it's absolutely gorgeous! :p Don't you love it when it all comes together and you can say with your chest puffed up and a big smile on your face "I did that"!!

I hope you'll post pictures of it placed into the bedroom of your house (assuming that's where it's going once the "petting" stage has passed!). ;)

Deb - you should be proud of yourself! You did a fabulous job. Recently I've had the chance to feel that busting at the seams, proud of yourself, feel good, too excited to go to bed feeling that comes from creating something all by yourself.

My prescription: 1. Enjoy your high!! 2. Make another miniature project 3. Repeat #1!!!! The possibilities to obtain this feeling again are endless.

Susanne

Wow Deb!

If I made a bed that looked like that I'd be bouncing off the freaking walls!! it's AWESOME. How do you get the material so nice and even and the side curtains and a nice tight tiny weave - just right for scale work... I bet you used a pleater right? Wow it's awesome. I want one :p That canopy is so cool ! What great fabrics and Superb workmanship! I'm envious ;)

-David

Thanks everybody! I'm still crooning over it. ;) It's just such a rush to make minis. I've been creating things all my life, but I've never enjoyed something as much as this. Everything about it is so wonderful and exciting. And I'm so very, very, very glad to be able to hang out here where you all understand that feeling.

Teresa, the bed is going into the Pierce as you suspected. I'm working on the drapes to go into the Pierce tomorrow and when I have them done, I'll post pics of the whole house.

David, you're right that I used a pleater. :p There's no way I could have done it otherwise without losing what's left of my mind. I made my own pleater out of skinny craft sticks glued to a sheet of balsa. The canopy came out so even because I cut sheets of poster board to fit the frame, and then covered them with silk and glued the fringe over that.

I'm happy dancing and grinning so much that I look like the little dancing dude. I'll have to go find a black suit and shades to wear!

Deb

Hey Deb! Since we're talking about beds, there was one in the Governors Mansion in Williamsburg that I loved, and I wish I could recreate it in miniature. Here's what it looks like:

Oooooooooooooooooooh! That's pretty! And it wouldn't be that hard to do the fabric part in mini if you could find some sheer silk for the draping. (hand dye some silk stockings maybe???) But I haven't a clue how to do that curlicue top without losing my eyesight, my patience, my sanity and at least one finger to a razor blade.

Deb

Linda, this is so funny! I have that picture in my saved folder on my computer and could not remember "where" i got it at. Now I remember, you sent me that picture via email when you and Jimmie went there LOL. I have saved that picture for inspiration to do that bed (or better yet, one like it LOL).

Deb, I gotta buy me one of those pleaters. They seem so expensive.

Deb, I gotta buy me one of those pleaters. They seem so expensive.

That's what I thought which is why I got the skinny craft sticks at walmart and glued them onto a sheet of balsa wood to make my own pleater. The skinny craft sticks are just the perfect width for pleats in the correct scale. I glued them vertically about 1/8" to 1/4" apart and voila, it's a pleater. I laid the fabric over it, brushed it with starch and then stuck loose skinny sticks into the grooves to hold the fabric in place till it dried. Pop out the loose skinny sticks, lift off the fabric and it's done. I'm not cheap, but I just hate spending money for something I can make. That leaves more money to spend on the things I can't make. <eyeing the Bespaq> ;)

Deb

• Like 3

Deb, do you have a picture of what you made? Maybe I can do that too ;)

I'd be happy to take a pic of it. It's rough looking, but it gets the job done. I'm at work now, but I'll do that and post it tonight when I get home. It was easy to make---took longer for the glue to dry than it did to make the pleater.

Deb