Slippers

MiniMadWoman

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok...felt it is!

The easiest and best way to make felt slippers or shoes that I have found is -

Cut a piece of felt slightly larger than the doll's foot plus enough to come up however high you want.

Moisten the felt. Do not drench it. :lol:

Moistened felt will dry in whatever shape you put it, so there's no need to add stiffener.

Shape the felt to the doll's foot, smoothing it gently. Allow to dry for 15-20 minutes, the trim to desired shape. (Cuticle scissors work well.) Allow to dry overnight, remove from doll's foot, and do any final trimming.

You can add trim, beads, whatever you want.

Hope this helps.

Carol

Ooh. I know I've seen a tutorial online somewhere for slippers. Now where is that link?  :lol:

I've seen that tutorial too. Unfortunately I lost all my bookmarks last week so I don't have the link anymore. :lol:

Sorry Teresa. I just assumed you had a doll.

Ok...you can make a blank for the mold out of tin foil or masking tape. Just squish a wad into a general kind of foot shape and mold the felt to that.

BTW - if you're having trouble shaping the felt, hold it over the spout of a boiling tea kettle for a second or two (just don't burn your fingers!). The steam will help the shaping and setting .... ever seen them shape a felt hat? Same theory...

Carol

Thanks Carol!  Now I just have to find a doll's foot!  Hmm . . .

They're usually located on the end of a doll.

<cackle> <snerkle>

I'm sorry. I couldn't resist it. I know I'm bad. <hanging head and scuffing toe in the dirt> I'll just go over here and stand in the corner for awhile.

Deb

Deb, you're killing me!!  :lol:  :lol:  Which end would that be?!!  :D

<scratching head and looking puzzled> Beats me! I don't have any dolls either. Lemme know when you find out. :D

Deb

Can't decide if you 2 are outrageous or just plum pitiful! :lol:

I'm pretty sure I just lost a staple or three from laughing!

Carol

PS...  I know... I know.... I are easily amused! :lol:

<crumpling up a piece of tinfoil and tossing it to Carol> I don't know about you, but that'll keep me entertained for hours! heheeheheheee

<handing you your huggy pillow> Don't be popping staples lady! Your doctor will tell you to stay off the forum if you keep doing that and it just wouldn't be the same without you.

Deb

Melanie, yes thank you so much! I meant to e-mail you but didn't get to it quick enough. I got the pattern and am on my way to find the felt I originally bought to do the crashed witch with. There's lots there so I'm sure I can spare some for some tiny little slippers! :lol: They're going to be soooo cute!!

Deb, usually I'd say the end with the hair on it is the top so the bottom must be where the feet are. However, if a person (doll) has hair on their toes, it might not be so easy to use this as a point of reference!! :lol:

Forget the staples and tinfoil girls . . . let's shoot rubber bands!!!!!! Oh, it hurts just thinking about it!! :D Hubby and coworkers use those Nerf guns with the darts in them. Now that's fun!!

Deb, usually I'd say the end with the hair on it is the top so the bottom must be where the feet are.  However, if a person (doll) has hair on their toes, it might not be so easy to use this as a point of reference!!  :lol:

Forget the staples and tinfoil girls . . . let's shoot rubber bands!!!!!!  Oh, it hurts just thinking about it!!  :lol:  Hubby and coworkers use those Nerf guns with the darts in them.  Now that's fun!!

If you have dolls with hairy feet, I'm reeeeeeeeeally interested in knowing what kind of house they live in!

<pulling out the Nerf gun> Wouldn't you know it, I just happen to have one of these close by! Yeeeeeeeeeehhhaaaaaaaaw!

Deb

Which house would you build for a Hobbit?

I think that's the class I'd like to take from Rik Pierce.

BTW I seem to recall a pattern for house slippers in one of the dh magazines, just not which one :) (Of all the things I've lost over time I miss my mind the most)

Well, thanks to everyone for the help! I ended up using Melanie's pattern and the slippers turned out great! They're so cute!

By the way, I taught myself the blanket stitch today! That's what I love about this hobby, you never know where it's going to take you!!

post-267-1134429874_thumb.jpg

Oh, those are just adorable! And your blanket stitching is very impressive. Are you sure you've never done it before? It's hard to keep the tension and distance on blanket stitching so they come out even, but yours are excellent!

Now I have to know..........since you couldn't find a doll with feet, exactly *where* are these slippers going? :)

Deb

Thanks everyone for the kind comments!

Pretend, Deb, pretend! :( The slippers are going to live beside the bed. I actually have some dolls in mind, but I think their feet are going to be too small for the slippers. Good thing they'll be downstairs and their slippers upstairs! :)