Why CHRYSNBON?

I keep seeing very detailed kits by Chrysbon for sale online, but then I look at the description and ....polystyrene??? What's the draw if these are essentially made out of plastic? Are they durable and when you see it in your house, does it look fake?

Thanks!

Caroline

Chrysnbon are great products as Ive said before on other threads. They are extremely durable and detailed. They are real replicas of antiques. I decorated my entire Beacon Hill with these kits and its my favorite house of all. Everyone who sees my house on the inside, just loves the look of this furniture. They are true to scale and look just like wood when stained. You can never even tell they arent wood. They are also super fun to build.

Perhaps it is because they are made out of plastic that they are so very detailed as that is hard to re-create with wood? I know I have seen pictures of the Chrysbon pieces that looks spectcular and it is hard to tell that they aren't the real deal so to speak.

Hugs

I make most of my own furniture but I still use a LOT of Chrysnbon. I have made at least 5 of the treadle sewing machines for different rooms and I keep going back to the wood stove. There aren'e any premade ones that compare. The kits are wonderful. You can put them together with modeler's glue or E-6000. I hope that they keep going as long as I am making miniatures. I don't know what I would do without them. I sound like an ad for Chrysnbon..... :)

They really are beautiful even though they are plastic. I've got a gorgeous Chrysnbon organ in the music room in my gallery, and the stove is in my sweet shop. I have more of them to build.

I use these great kits in someplace almost all my houses because they provide the details on furniture, etc., that I want. Staining and painting may be a challenge; but, what in miniatures is not?

Dave

You won't go wrong with Chrysnbon!

There I said it and I'm sticking to it! Wonderful furniture kits...highly detailed, and yours for just some painting or staining! And all the little bits left over can be used for pipes, etc. Very useful!

Chrysnbon kits are amazing, though I'd recommend painting, or at least putting a light wash to remove the plastic appearance of the surface. They're molded in colour so you don't absolutely have to, but it'll make a huge difference. Spraying is the way to go.

If these kits were wood the proportions would be totally off, or they'd have to be made out of paper thin wood and they'd be incredibly fragile. And the cost would increase dramatically.

For gluing, unless you plan on eating the glue, forget the garbage they sell at HBS. Non-toxic tube glue is good for one thing, adding ballast to the trash can. The red Testors tube glue will work, but it's messy, I only use it for outscabbing relief detail in sheet plastic, it holds really well. Testors Liquid Cement, in the glass bottle with purple label works well, it's methyl ethyl ketone, a solvent, so now you've graduated to welding the plastic together. Makes a much cleaner job, ten times stronger. But MEK is a challenge in that you have to go quickly, you use it like contact cement, apply to both surfaces allign, and press together. Take longer than 10 or so seconds and the solvent evaporates, and you have have to start over. I use this for welding stock together.

For the real deal, there's ONLY methylene chloride. You want Tenax 7R or Ambroid ProWeld. Get one or the other (they're the same chemical) online if need be. But get it. If you want to put styrene kits together and make them look good it's the only way to go. You also want Micro Brushes, or a capillary bottle. You put the pieces together dry, you can hold them with your free hand. Apply the solvent with the micro brush or bottle, press together (the solvent enters the joint by capillary action) and 10 seconds later the parts are welded together. No mess, perfect allignment. Because the plastic softens to make the bond, the joint will often disappear. If not, then it's time for Bondo.

The nice things about Chrysnbon is the kits aren't very expensive. So you can furnish your whole house quickly and then take your time replacing the furniture with "real" (I didn't even smile when I used that word!) furniture. Also, Chrysnbon kits can be kitbashed. I haven't done that yet but I hear it comes out real good. Anything plastic translates to metal - I wish like heck some of these companies would come out with plastic stove, sinks and refrigerators. And fairly modern ones too - from the 50's on.

A plastic Chrysnbon modern kitchen complete with cabinets and a center island - to die for!

I have a number of these kits, i haven't tried putting them together yet, but although i turn my nose up at plastic, these kits are great and very detailed! I like them for alll the reasons other people have stated :wub:

Here goes!

The pub kitchen has the icebox, the stove & some of the cookware I painted: med_gallery_8_151_244668.jpg

The pub bathroom includes the accessory kit (the towel racks broke when I put towels on them so they are something else): med_gallery_8_151_3414.jpg

In addition to another stove & icebox I made the dresser for Maggie: med_gallery_8_988_31956.jpg

And here's the curio cabinet, used as a china cupboard in my Cambridge: med_gallery_8_8_39894.jpg