• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dollhouse-Kits.com

Dollhouse-Kits.com

• Gold Member
  • 57 posts
  • Local time: 12:48 PM

Posted 10 May 2008 - 12:51 PM

Get ready to start your engines because the Big Bus Dollhouse Kit is coming to town.†† It all started with an email from our friends over at Hobby Builders Supply.† The Miniature Mad Man, Ernie Collier, mentioned something about a bus in his March newsletter which got a tremendous response.† It didnít take long before we got the call; "Make me a bus"!†

This isnít the first time weíve been challenged by HBS.† Our Houseboat kit was the direct result of Ernieís love of real houseboats.† He got it in his mind that it would make a great project for miniaturist and decide to drive us crazy until we finally made him a prototype.† I have to admit that the houseboat dollhouse kit has become very popular, so this time, we didnít hesitate and knocked this project out in record time!

When I sat down with my development team and said BUS, they all scratched their heads.†† We had three goals; Make is stylishly, make it functional and make it affordable.† We started our research and struck a target retail price of $40 and with in a week (okay, maybe two weeks), we where sending pictures to HBS for their input. As you can see in the picture below, we originally had the opening on the opposite side of the bus.† Ernie and his team made mention of his and we were in full agreement, so we switched it around and started the final prototype.

Posted Image

Now that the details were hammered out, it was time to roll up our sleeves and get busy!† Introducing a new product is quite involved for us at Greenleaf.† We needed to transform a sample that was hand cut on a jigsaw into a manufactured product; fist layouts, then tooling the dies, sampling, more tooling, more sampling and then finally making a box and packing it all up.† Since this item is an HBS exclusive, there was no need for a point of sale label, but there was the matter of assembly instructions.† In steps Hobby Builders Supply resident-miniaturist, Sally Cook-Thomas.† We have worked closely with Sally in the past and itís always been a joy.† Sally was also responsible for writing the Houseboat instructions which were spot on, so we are grateful that she took this responsibility off our desk.† Itís a very involved process that would have bogged us down and drastically effected the released date, so three cheers for Sally.† On top of this commitment, Sally took one of our final prototypes and decorated it for the HBS catalog cover and was kind enough to share it was us (so six cheers for Sally).† Her Sixties theme is whimsical and fun, so I used it as the focus of the above flash presentation.

Greenleaf now has three dollhouse kits based on a transportation theme.† First, there was our Miniature Travel Trailer, followed by our Houseboat kit and finally the Big Bus which is now available for pre-order exclusively at Miniatures.com.† They are running a pre-order special, so you can get $5.00 off the $39.99 retail price.† This coupon code, WPC2812, MUST be entered in the media code box while checking out.† For those of you interested in the recreating the Sixties theme, there are more pictures of Sallyís bus with links to some of the items she used available here.

In closing, Iíd like to thank Ernie for approaching us with this project.† Iím sure that he could have imported this kit for less money, but when possible,† he prefers to buy products made in the USA.† As an American manufacturer, this is something we always appreciate!

ShareThis

View the full article at Dolllhouse-Kits.com

#2 chesterfieldzoo

chesterfieldzoo

• Platinum Member
  • 8629 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 01:33 PM

Thank you so much for this. It is so cute. I have my order in.
~*~ A rich person is not the one who has the most...but the one who needs the least. ~*~

#3 havanaholly

havanaholly

Cousin Farfrom Normal, Queen of Spackle

• Team Master Builder
  • 51416 posts
  • Local time: 11:48 AM

Posted 10 May 2008 - 05:13 PM

It's a great idea and ought to sell the socks right off of ol' Ernie!
havanaholly
working as little as possible

#4 uppitycats

uppitycats

uppitycats

• Platinum Member
  • 4156 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 06:47 PM

This is really cute. I have to think hard about my commitment to not buy any new minis for awhile, til I get farther along on my Brookwood... hmmmm...my credit card finger is gettin' itchy...

#5 Anna

Anna

The thrifty witch

• Platinum Member
  • 11745 posts
  • Local time: 06:48 PM

Posted 11 May 2008 - 02:14 AM

:wave: DH just talked about next year's show and how important it is to have something completly different compared to all the others... Sooooo I can see me getting a couple of buses, travel trailers as well as a houseboat just for the funm of it, I mean he DID say that now didn't he??? One each for me as a showing example and one for selling :wave: Well one can dream atleast...
Hugs
Anna, http://nao-mini.com/
Fairy name Gossamer Moonfly

#6 what2craftnow

what2craftnow

Did I mention that I'm SENILE?

• Platinum Member
  • 2884 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 04:46 AM

Too cute! The dolls are too funny - looks an awful lot like Janis Joplin and 'ol Jerry Garcia on a Magical Mystery Tour :lol:
I hope my ship comes in before my dock rots...

#7 Hallowell

Hallowell

• Platinum Member
  • 11559 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:18 AM

Very, very cool. I see so many possibilities with this one.
It matters not who you love,
but that you love.

The greatest thing you'll ever learn
is just to love and be loved in return.

When you forgive, you love.
And when you love, God's light shines down on you.

#8 angie q

angie q

• Gold Member
  • 160 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

What ever happened to this bus? Still around?

#9 HyacinthB

HyacinthB

• Gold Member
  • 122 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:00 AM

I have ordered the Greenleaf Vintage Travel Trailer.  I have a bet with me, that I need to put together something.

And, this is something.

I love so many of your ideas. This forum is a fun place to be and what a wonderful way to pass the time!

Sue

BE NICE TO PEOPLE ON YOUR WAY UP, FOR YOU NEVER KNOW, WHOM YOU WILL MEET, ON YOUR WAY DOWN.

#10 havanaholly

havanaholly

Cousin Farfrom Normal, Queen of Spackle

• Team Master Builder
  • 51416 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:36 AM

Your dish garden is adorable!  I had a blast putting the Travel Trailer together.  Because we were using our first RV travel trailer I incorporated several things from ours as well as others we'd looked at I changed a few things.  I still have another TT kit to put together.  I looked long & hard at the bus kit this thread features, but it never spoke to me.

havanaholly
working as little as possible

#11 ~morningstar~

~morningstar~

Mistress of my own destiny... what about you?

• Gold Member
  • 234 posts
  • Local time: 09:48 AM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:20 PM

The Travel Trailer might be the perfect NEXT project for me. *giggle* If I can't find the Bus one. :D

~morning

~morningstar~

Daddy looked out the window on the morning I was born, while there were still stars in the sky and said "You, my daughter shall be named 'Morningstar'."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users