1970's style wood paneled walls (how would you do it?)

Elsbeth

I have ended up with a 70's style dollhouse and I am really enjoying the groovadelic vibe, BUT, it looks like the previous owner was not so enthralled with the 70s, and removed some fantastic harvest gold wallpaper, and installed something pastel from the late 80s/90s in the "basement" bonus room.

So I am thinking I'd like a wood paneled room - that paneling I so very much hated in the 70s, will actually look good in this little house.

Would you use floorboards for this and just install them onto the walls? Or finished clapboard siding?

What would ya'll do?

Whooooa Pam - that is AWESOME and totally captures the 70s look! Wooooo!

Monica - I love your paneling in the gypsy wagon - it's gorgeous! It might be too nice for my 70s house (lol)...but I think I am leaning towards the siding method.

These are awesome photos!

I like Pam's idea. When I read your question, I had thought of using printed papers for the paneling, either the wood floor wallpaper you can buy or printing your own.

I wouldn't use real wood strips, because they would look too good and too real. They wouldn't have the cheesy fake look of Masonite paneling.

:jawdrop: The wall behind my computer is this panelling; gee, the inside of my entire house (inclucing the bathrooms!) is this panelling! The open stairs' steps are totally covered in variegated gold shag! Our house was built in 1971 and has not seen a single remodel or redecoration since. Back when we first moved in we thought we had a contractor lined up to help us but he disappeared (NOT with any of our money, but even his wife never has heard from him again!).

Holly, you may want to hang on to your house the way it is. There are some people who just love the 70s style and they're looking for 70s houses that aren't remodeled. You never know.

Course, on the other hand, they'd love my 40's trailer - and that style is not by my choice. :jawdrop:

Kelly, The style suits my decor, since most of our furniture is late '60s! Once I "broke free" of Victorian with the first house I built my houses are all 20th Century! I hadn't thought about it, but the Greenleaf siding strips, unless they're painted & faux-grained, would look too good! I used them for vertical beadboard in Maggie, but not for the particleboard & veneer panels on my walls.

• 2 weeks later...
Now if I could just come up with a way to recreate variegated gold shag carpeting in mini! I probably shouldn't admit this, but I really like the 70's paneling.

the carpeting is easy....get some (embroidery floss) colors of your choice and either needle punch (and snip the loops) or cut in tiny pieces and glue them on a piece of fabric. I found this out when I was needle punching a zebra rub and used the cuttings on a separate piece of fabric for an experiment. Didnt look too bad.

Wen