A trip to the exotic woods lumberyard

Sherry

We went out to the exotic woods shop this afternoon to see if they had some wood that DS2 needs for a project. I haven't been out there in years and had forgotten how neat a place it is!

They have regular cut-lumber bins full of woods I've never even heard of, plus zebra wood, leopardwood, purpleheart which really is a true purple color, woods from all over the world in every shade you can imagine. I got to snooping around and found their scrap bin-mini heaven! Their scraps are plenty big enough to make dh furniture!

They also had pen blanks, just square lengths of wood about the length of a fountain pen. one was rainbow striped, pretty cool, but I got some that were natural woods, some leopard, which is a yellowish brown with black streaks in it, a darker brown with the same streaks, and a couple other. I think the leopard wood will make a fantastic mantel over a black marble fireplace surround. But the pen blanks would be great for table legs, pedestals, etc. They even have acrylic faux marble round blanks in all colors that could be used for lamp bases, pedestals, etc.

anyway, if you get the chance to visit an exotic woods store, do so. Those of you who really love to pet your wood, will go crazy with all the gorgeous pieces! And be sure to ask them about their scrap pile. The clerk who waited on us was just tickled to hear what I wanted it for, so I will go through his scraps when we go back after DS's wood. He said that was the first time anyone had bought something from them for a dollhouse and he was going to have to let the owner know, he'd get a kick out of it. I think I'm going to go make new friends with these guys, maybe take some homemade brownies with me! :lol:

There's a place in town like that - some people from the mini club have been, and I keep meaning to ... well, I did go one day, but they were closed. Now you've inspired me to try again! The leopard wood mantel would be gorgeous!

My husband and son have a bunch of exotic wood pen blanks and have been busy making pens for eveyone.

They also have some very cool acrylic blanks. They made one that looks almost holographic with deep blues and

greens.

I keep hinting I need some turnings done for my dollhouse.

I may just go down to the man cave and learn how to use the mini lathe. Think of the possiblities.

They order them online, I'll have to find out where.

I made a trip to Woodcraft and fell in love with the look of purpleheart, but the clerk says it doesn't stay that lovely color. :o

I'm a fan of exotic woods and have been since I learned to turn 18 years ago. I need to get back into doing that... :p

Another place to check out is furniture/cabinet maker shops they have lots of scraps that they will gladly give you!

When I took my forestry classes in college we went to a exotic woods place to study different types of hardwoods I was in awe of all the colors I can remember just petting all the beautiful pieces of wood.

If you do decide to get a mini lathe, here is a recommendation.

The PSI turncrafter plus ..... Lathe link

It's a lathe made for pen turning so it's great for minis and it's very reasonably priced. I've had mine for 3 years and love it. You can get it at amazon as well as the company.

We just need the piece that fits a regular lathe. I asked DS2 about it today. He says Micro Mark is ok, Rockler is great, Harbor Freight is cr@pp, if you're looking at them. He always ordered his equipment for his shop from Rockler if he couldn't find it locally. Good brands, good service.

We just need the piece that fits a regular lathe. I asked DS2 about it today. He says Micro Mark is ok, Rockler is great, Harbor Freight is cr@pp, if you're looking at them. He always ordered his equipment for his shop from Rockler if he couldn't find it locally. Good brands, good service.

I find the statement about Micro Mark and Harbor Freight ironic. If you mean their engine lathes then they're the exact same machine. They're both Siegs. Same goes for the MM and HF mills, again made by Sieg.

As for the exotic woods, guess why I love Warwick basses. My Dolphin is afzelia, ekanga veneer (the body is a sandwich construction), ovangkol neck with wenge fretboard. The Fortress is flame maple, wenge neck and fretboard, Streamer is carolena, same neck construction, Corvette is swamp ash.

Basses I don't have are also amazing, the Buzzard is zebrano (zebra wood), a lot of their basses are bubinga, you can custom order just about anything. Warwick also grow all their woods in their own tree farms, no forest cutting here kids. Check out their custom shop gallery some time. Purple heart, lacewood, snakewood, burls and spalts. Some amazing looking stuff for those that love some of these exotic woods.

I believe he is referring to the companies, Doogie. As a general rule, he doesn't think the stuff at Harbor Freight is acceptable quality. As a general rule, Rockler carries brands that he knows are of good quality, and the service he has gotten from them is exceptional. With Micro Mark, he says they are probably ok, but he has not dealt with them personally. He was NOT recommending any particular tool, just places where a person who doesn't know one brand from another, could get good advice and the items most suited to their ability, budget, and needs. That would be most of the people in here who are discussing how much fun a mini lathe would be.