Spring Fling 2011 Poll

Minis On The Edge

What Scale  

95 members have voted

1. 1. What Scale Would You Prefer between the 2 choices

• Half Scale, 1/24th, G scale
    • 1/12th Scale, One inch Scale, 1"=1'

Yeap we are thinking Spring.....Greenleaf Spring Fling!!! I talked with Dean & we picked the house style for this years kit. We are supposed to meet up over the phone to do some final design details later on this week! So, do you like 1" scale or 1/24th scale the most? We are debating on the scale we should use for this years contest. Please, post your favorite scale even if you are NOT entering. It will help us better determine what the majority would like!!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think half scale as more people are likely to be able to afford the smaller building.

Though with 12th scale you've got a better option to turn it into something half scale... But still vote for half scale for competition. Or could maybe have both scales? Then you could choose whichever scale you feel more comfortable working with! :)

How exciting!!

Either scale would be fun. I am more comfortable working with 1/12th scale so I voted for 1" scale. I like the suggested idea to offer the kit and competition in both scales that way it would be a more varied result. Either way I think it would be a fun project. :)

The only thing that concerns me about offering both scales is that I am afraid the judges would naturally lean toward the "cute little half scale" pieces. I think the poll is a good way to determine which of the two scales should be offered. I am also really glad the kit this year will be a lot different than the previous two years . . . that will help keep out entries that are inspired by previous Spring Fling entries and offer up more originality.

Yes, could it maybe be available in either scale, so people could choose what's more comfortable for them?

That sounds like a good idea to me :) Not sure the manufacturers would like that, though!

Well, you did say vote, even if we weren't participating. Just because I don't have room for 1:12 and because I'm learning to enjoy building in 1:24, I voted my preference, and I prefer to build in 1:12... As has been pointed out, 1:12 can be bashed to 1:24.

A really tough choice, one I will have to ponder over a little while.... I adore the little half scale house I have here and I am intruiged with the scale.... :) I'll sleep on it, or something like that :)

Hugs

The only thing that concerns me about offering both scales is that I am afraid the judges would naturally lean toward the "cute little half scale" pieces. I think the poll is a good way to determine which of the two scales should be offered. I am also really glad the kit this year will be a lot different than the previous two years . . . that will help keep out entries that are inspired by previous Spring Fling entries and offer up more originality.

Rhonda,what if the individual entry's scale wasn't mentioned?

if it is the same kit,just a size difference.....

I was thinking maybe the judges would look more favorably on the 1.12 scale because it is still the most widely accepted one :)

Right now, the contest house is only going to be offered in 1 ( one) scale so please choose the one (1) you would be most interested in.

I am also really glad the kit this year will be a lot different than the previous two years . . . that will help keep out entries that are inspired by previous Spring Fling entries and offer up more originality.

Every year we come out with different kit designs but what happens most times is the "artist" style of building may come through so their entries may look similar to one they submited before. If you look at the Past spring fling kits, you'll notice they are quite different in style, and size.

The other issue to address is I'd like to tell you to vote based off of the scale instead of the cost. The prices would be close to the same no matter the scale because the costs for doing the kits in halfscale is a little more pricey than the 1" scale versions :)

I'm so excited about this as I'd rather think Spring than Winter right now :)

Well, I voted for 1/12 - that is what I like and work in, and I haven't managed to get the courage to even try anything in 1/24 myself!

I know you've already said that there will be only one scale for the 2011 Spring Fling but in future years, I hope you'll consider allowing both scales or maybe (yikes!) a Spring Fling for each scale???

Right now, the contest house is only going to be offered in 1 ( one) scale so please choose the one (1) you would be most interested in.

Every year we come out with different kit designs but what happens most times is the "artist" style of building may come through so their entries may look similar to one they submited before. If you look at the Past spring fling kits, you'll notice they are quite different in style, and size.

While I can think of a couple examples where this is true, that's not actually what I was remembering . . . I was thinking more along the lines of someone being inspired by, and emulating, someone else's ideas. I'm not going to talk specifics, but a lot of the members will know exactly what I am referring to . . .

I think half scale would not only lend itself better to most people's financial constraints, but also be a good way to introduce working in half scale, to those who might not normally try this scale, but really really want to enter the contest.

Either way, put me down for a vote for half scale. I'm firmly convinced that this will be the future of dollhouse building for many of us. Even tho I don't have the ability to finish something really good by the deadline, (too many other irons in my fire)...I will enjoy watching this contest unfold!

J

As stated before my favorite scale is the 1/12th because that is what I have worked with the most. However, I have never worked in a smaller scale nor have I ever entered a contest. Wow!!! What a chance to do two new things. Whatever scale is decided I am sure there will be some fabulous entries. Heck, I may even do my first entry. :)

While I have entertained 1/24 scale (I think a half scale Diana would be just adorable!), I would prefer a 1/12 scale simply because everything I own is 1/12 and would have to buy EVERYTHING for a half-scale project, which would make it more expensive for me.

I really like the half scale as I don't have room for anymore full scale projects. As to expense, so many things can be made with simple things around the house. Furniture can be made from poster board, matt board and other assorted cardboard, as well as being used for flooring etc. Since half scale is smaller it also means you'd need less materials then 1/12 scale. At least that's my two cents.... :)

I voted 1:24th ...i dont even like 1:24th :) but i was thinking more of the saving in shipping for me....whatever it is i'll still get it as its more about the fun rather than the kit for me :) fling on!!!!

edit: just reading the other fling thread....those who want could bash the 1:12th to a 1:24th...great idea ;) and i love the gypsy wagon suggestions :lol: its different and could become anything!!! ^_^