Scratch built IKEA couch in half scale

fov

I made this little couch today, for my Rosedale. It's based on the Karlstad sofa from IKEA... all straight lines, what could go wrong?! I set it next to the Lee's Line sofa for a size comparison.

It's made from basswood wrapped in scrapbook paper that has a faint speckled pattern. It doesn't have a fabricy texture but I think it works okay. Looking at this now, I think the cushions need to be fatter. Initially I'd planned to add batting to the wood but I wasn't able to stretch the paper over it like I would with fabric, so I just ended up using wood blocks which didn't have the added depth I was anticipating. Compared to the Lee's Line couch the seats seem too low in mine, which can be fixed with fatter cushions.

Anyway, I think it's not bad for a first attempt! I was going to do a sectional but realized I don't have room for it so I improvised. I have some suede-like pink scrapbook paper in my stash, maybe I'll try a chair with that next. :lol:

UPDATE: I've added a tutorial for this project to my blog.

post-7-0-37445800-1306648511_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-76534900-1306648568_thumb.jpg

I love it :) I've attempted a couple of sofas in that style and it isn't easy to get the fabric as taught as need be. Never thought of scrap book paper. Nice job. The suede sounds good too. I found some suede contact paper at Big Lots and covered a plastic Barbie sofa with it...worked great.

I agree the seat looks too low; if you have a bit more of that paper, why not cut two more pieces of the basswood the size of the seat and glue them together and cover them andsee how they look? Using textured scrapbook paper gives it that lovely smooth, tight upholstered finish.

Beautiful! I have seen some rather low couches, but I think Holly's idea would be best if you want to change that.

How funny, Ann, that I thought of you as soon as I saw the IKEA in the post. I actually thought it was yours!! :giggle:

Thanks everyone! Holly's idea is exactly what I'm thinking, I'll stack two pieces of basswood on top of each other so the cushions are double thickness. I have plenty of wood and paper left to play around with.

I like it too. My first impulse to make the proportions look better would be to make another longer piece and sandwich it between the sofa base and the cushions. It would give the proper seat height and a little design interest to the front of the sofa.

I had to replace a chair cushion in my family room a couple years ago and that's when I found out that cushions could vary quite a bit in height, but the actual height of the seat always remains fairly standard.

make another longer piece and sandwich it between the sofa base and the cushions. It would give the proper seat height and a little design interest

I first thought that, too, until I noticed there were two "cushions" making up the seat.

Yeah, make another long one, stick it in under the 2 cushions.

I redid the cushions. I think it looks a lot better. For the upper cushions, I kept them narrow but beveled the bottom edge so they sit flat. I'll add throw pillows at some point.

Holly, good idea on the tutorial. If/when I do a chair I'll take step by step pictures.

post-7-0-69922400-1306900788_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-77225300-1306901001_thumb.jpg

The sofa looks great! Thanks for the tip on using scrapbook paper for upholstery...1/2 scale can get so clunky looking with fabric--especially if you want a little texture. This has such a nice clean finish and good scaling. Great job!

Tappy

This weekend I made a chair and wrote up a tutorial. I hope people find it useful!

In the end, the dimensions I used aren't exact scale-downs of the IKEA furniture... I had to make some changes to make the furniture look good in the Rosedale and also to make use of easily available strip wood. So they're "inspired by" the Karlstad line. :lol:

I'm including a picture here of them in the Fairfield's attic, alongside some other half scale furniture, to give an idea of the size. They're a bit bulkier than the kit-built couches that usually go in this room, but I still think they look good with these tables...

post-7-0-45984500-1307338180_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-65068300-1307338197_thumb.jpg