Good Ole' Dollar Tree

LindaC

On Wednesday I went to a larger town some 50 miles away. First stop was the Dollar Tree. In the little girls toys I found plastic dh furniture. bed, dresser, table and chairs in 1" scale. I only got one table for speculation for a picnic one on my lake scene. Did find the multi shelf unit/book case I might cut for travel trailer cabinet. should have gotten 2 of those.

On Tuesdays I volunteer in the church clothes closet sorting the many many donations. This week I got a plastic comfy chair I will paint and put a thin padding on. Got the perfect fabric at Walmart on Wednesday.

I asked if there was a Goodwill or Salvation army since I was last over there 2 years ago but not. There is a newish thrift store so off I went. Really expensive on most items. I did find the plastic princess telephone keyring for .99. I might cut that plastic tab off since I will paint it anyway. Also got 2 tiny rolls of paper towels for .50 each. WElll that's what they look like :-)

Ended up last at Chinese food buffet which usually is very good BUT I was too tired and at 3pm I think food left over from lunch under the heating lamps so some was dried up. Brought home my favorite Lomein and had for lunch next day. Good stuff.

To find HL and another mini store would have to go to OKC almost 2 hours away and I can't imagine driving home from there tired so I better stick to online shopping.

Everyone have a great day......

LindaC

I went to a Dollar tree I've never been to the next town over from me last week. Found all kinds of goodies!! I found the little wine glass wedding favors that everyone posted about finding on here a long time ago, which were never at my local one. I also got some mini baby bottle baby shower favors. These are real cute, they would also work good as ketchup/condiment bottles, too. I'm sure I'll find some other uses for them, just give me time, LOL!

They also had the wooden dollhouse furniture, I bought a bunch of these to bash. My local stores never keep these in, they are gone fast when they get them, so I try to buy a lot whenever I do find them.

I got a cool little aquarium, too, that with a little work will be very nice. I also got the cool skeleton garlands that I saw on Casey's blog (Casey's Minis) that I've wanted forever. They are very detailed and you get 4 for a $1! Now, to make a house to use them in.........LOL!

But, my best find was the metal like stickers that make the best frames, trays, etc. They had them on clearance for 50 cents a pack!! Who-hoo! I bought them all, LOL! Some are gold tone, some are bronze tone, and some are silver tone. They have 4-6 in a pack. I haven't seen these in a while at the other Dollar trees, so maybe they are going to quit selling them. Thats too bad because they are great for minis. They are easily cut with scissors, exactos, etc.

2674579_s1_i1.jpgpost-6078-0-15470300-1318188438_thumb.jp

ETA: I haven't seen the plastic doll furniture anywhere. Are they are new item, has anyone else spotted them anywhere? But, I also never seen the cool shadow box/shelf things that everyone else has found there, either.

Guess I'd better scoot over to the Dollar Tree again! I haven't been there for a long time. I once found some Bonzai trees there, that were the perfect scale. I'd like to see those again! I got some of those skeletons last year around this time. Haven't used them yet, but at least I have them when I need them. Does anyone have a Habitat for Humanity store in the area? I was just told about one not too far away that sometimes gets dh furniture in. I stopped by and found a package of siding - Greenleaf brand :shifty: Nothing else yet, but I'll keep checking.

I was tempted to buy a couple of wrestler-type action figures at Dollar Tree the other day; I'd gone there to look for toy cars that I could strip the wheels from for my Trailer kit. The wrestlers were about 5 1/2" tall and were multi-jointed but had absurd grimaces and shoulders for days! One of them had a little folding chair prop (plastic) that looked like it could be unfolded... Maybe I could put some kind of mask on a figure and have him be my dh's tragicly disfigured gardner/poet?

Ken, I used wooden wheels from either Michael's or Hobby Lobby on my Travel trailer, and found a couople of cards of ornamental buttons to use for hubcaps:

Thank you for the tip, HavanaHolly, I like the way you used the extra pair of wheels for this length of trailer. When I was looking for toy cars' wheels, a lot of them that were near the size I was looking for had a smaller diameter front pair. I'll have to go back to Michael's this week (oh, darn!) to see if I can find something like these and also try to find that hutch everybody bashes. Dollar Tree had a couple of wooden dollhouse furniture pieces too, with a red finish, that I'm tempted to buy. I have to be careful not to buy too much "maybe I'll use this later" stuff because it can end up stashed away and forgotten in a plastic bin somewhere. :)

Our RL travel trailer has the wheels configured the way I built the TT; I had to alter the wheel wells to make it work. Next time I might redo the mounts and drill holes for the dowels so the wheels will turn (she says...). I had put the wheels on dowels, but gave up trying to make them "work":

gallery_8_2728_74159.jpg

I took one of the hutches from Michael's apart to make the kitchen console:

gallery_8_2728_334073.jpg

I covered a block of styrofoam for the bed, the window screen is a piece of old pantyhose and the extra walls are foamcore.

• 3 weeks later...

hee hee just posted a quick message on the front page about this. i found wood furniture at mine. The dining table and side board, a bed dresser and vanity. I also picked up some little christmas trees, some party favors that i'm hoping to make into childrens toys - strollers and bottles.

I"m going to try my hand at a destressed bedroom set like the one in this link.

http://mrsgreene.inf...ouse-furniture/

Edited by CindyGregory

Our RL travel trailer has the wheels configured the way I built the TT; I had to alter the wheel wells to make it work. Next time I might redo the mounts and drill holes for the dowels so the wheels will turn (she says...). I had put the wheels on dowels, but gave up trying to make them "work":

gallery_8_2728_74159.jpg

I took one of the hutches from Michael's apart to make the kitchen console:

gallery_8_2728_334073.jpg

I covered a block of styrofoam for the bed, the window screen is a piece of old pantyhose and the extra walls are foamcore.

love the panty hose thought... I keep getting out a set of buttons and putting them back away. NOW I know why I keep looking at them. They go in the TT box. Didn't know I had to provide wheels so thanks for the heads up. I have oodles of doweling (bird perches of all sizes) My cooking will be on the deck but your cabinet is awesome. One of the magnets bought recently is a broken bbq with propane tank. It's cut off and ready to go. Thinking of doing a framing with netting for a screen room that can be lifted off. dunno yet.

I MUST find some enthusiasm to finish house porch railings and steps then move on to the shop first. Actually after railings and hanging the porch swing (bought at a thrift store 9 years ago for $2.10/It's ready with small chain and eye screws) I will play with planting some flowers. I've saved them for almost 15 years. A simple thing but special. The small packages that are now about $1 and more I got for .10 Cents from a store going out of business. About 3 gallons jars full.

Oh and I am looking for mini purple clematis for climbing up a trellis. Not easy to find these things in a small town. Any very small purple will work so I keep searching.

everyone have a blessed day.

LindaC

But, my best find was the metal like stickers that make the best frames, trays, etc. They had them on clearance for 50 cents a pack!! Who-hoo! I bought them all, LOL! Some are gold tone, some are bronze tone, and some are silver tone. They have 4-6 in a pack. I haven't seen these in a while at the other Dollar trees, so maybe they are going to quit selling them. Thats too bad because they are great for minis. They are easily cut with scissors, exactos, etc.

2674579_s1_i1.jpgpost-6078-0-15470300-1318188438_thumb.jp

ETA: I haven't seen the plastic doll furniture anywhere. Are they are new item, has anyone else spotted them anywhere? But, I also never seen the cool shadow box/shelf things that everyone else has found there, either.

Did you look in crafts for the shelving unit? I could use a couple of these frames BUT too far to travel. I have several frames but need 2 rectangle and 1 square. Will keep looking around. ebay prices have soared on frames so not there. :-) The furniture at dollar store is wood not plastic. What I saw was anyway and I only got a table.

good luck,

LindaC

Linda, sent you a pm, I can send you the frames you need.

Ken, I used wooden wheels from either Michael's or Hobby Lobby on my Travel trailer, and found a couople of cards of ornamental buttons to use for hubcaps:

Holly, I bought a 4wheeler/atv at a yard sale yesterday for .25 so I could have the wheels. It only has 3 though. The lady will watch for the other one. I still haven't looked to see if there are any in the kit. I could use those and 2 matching or any other 2 matching as long as they are close in size.

I also bought the E600 glue. Whoa it has some fragrance. haha will have to close off the open doorway with something so it can't get to my birds. Today I hope to try it on my rubber brick roll to glue to foundation. Will try a sample first. It should be good with it an automotive product. Not a bad price either at under $5.

I better feed/water birds or they will let me now it's passed time...

Thanks much,

LindaC

Linda, if you're using E6000 also open the windows and set up a fan to blow the fumes out the window and for a while after you've finished, to protect your feathered babies. The wheels that come in the Travel Trailer kit are just plain circles. I had noticed the tire woodsies because at the time DH was an environmental engineer with the State and headed up the progam to remove all the piles of waste tires. We still take note of pickup trucks carrying used tires, to see if they have the permit decal!lol

Holly, I misunderstood somewhere and it doesn't take much to confuse me with facts... :whistle: I thought I read you had bought a vehicle someplace to use the tires. is that right? Or are they wood ones due to engineering situation? I like the wheels on this atv so will use them hopefully with axels intact.

You bet I will open windows and back door and run stove fan yes plus another aimed at door. I tried a sample and it looks like it's holding. Look forward to doing more. Haven't found the heavy drape I've put on this doorway before. It's in one of the winter totes since I've used it to keep heat in the room I am in now (used to be dining room) and the bird room (used to be living room) . They are only seperated by an archway so it's like one long room. So it's kitchen where dh is, then me, then birds. Giving you that info so you know the impact glue or any fumes would have. I LOVE my little house. 1245 sq feet and that's too much most days.

thanks again,

Linda

One of our gentlemen members used the wheels from a scale vehicle, I used the tire-shaped woodsies (which have a lovely hole in the middle; one day when I build my other TT kit I hope to use the other set I bought and make the wheel assembly "working").

I don't have a "before" picture of the unpainted wooden tires, but here's where I mounted them on dowels before gluing on the button hubcaps:

gallery_8_2728_74159.jpg

and here's how they look in place, with the button hubcaps:

gallery_8_2728_51458.jpg