Mini Table Saws

Mad for Mod

Does anyone have a mini table saw that they like? I have tried one from Harbor Freight, but it didn't work well and there was no guide to make straight cuts. I'm interested in the Proxxon 115 which is the smaller table saw or the Proxxon FKS/E which is a little larger and has a tiltable blade to cut mitres. Has anyone used either of these? I can't seem to find any good reviews. Thanks!!!

Cyd,

I picked up the one from Harbor Freight as well and I don't like it. I have been using my scroll saw or a hand saw lately. I am going to try to make a guide for my mini table saw, which should eliminate my biggest gripe. There are a couple of nice ones carried by Micro-Mark. Like you, I am curious to other people's thoughts.

The one I got from Harbor Freight didn't have any power. It wouldn't even get through a piece of 1/8" plywood, it kept stopping. Maybe I just got a bad one, but the reviews are bad too. Greg, I'm glad yours works. I got a little chop saw for cutting trim pieces from there and it's great! I highly recommend that one!

Linda, that craft saw sounds interesting. What all does it do?

Cyd

I use the rectangle shaped blade the most. I line my kitchen sink with newspaper and get to work instead of setting up outside. The sanding attachment is awesome, shaped like the end of an iron. sadly a friend wanted to help me sand glue off a board and leaned into it so much she melted the paper right into the attachment and it melted also. Have to get replacement one. not bad though only $10. You can go to Rockwell . com site to see reviews. some good some not.

There are other brands to check. Dremel is one. I think I understood from a friend she found at Harbor freight on sale for $39. Mine was $149 at Fingerhut. Mine doesn't have variable speeds so keep that in mind.

gallery_6170_4695_7031.jpg

Hi Cyd!

I have an old Dremel 4" table saw I bought too many years I wish to think about. I love it! I know they are no longer made, but you might be able to find one on eBay or another type of site. I have been able to find replacement blades and belts for it on eBay.

It will work wonders. I have never had any problems with the wood it will cut, only I take it slow if it is thick - 3/8" or more. I have been able to cut up to 3/4" stock! My Dad even used it to cut door and window moulding for his full size house.

I wish I could be more help for you on the current models out there. But if you luck into a Dremel, I would get it!

Matt

I have the harbor freight mini table saw too. It works great on Balsa wood but jams sometimes on Basswood. I had to make a little guide rail for it. Works better now. And I found it worked better when I took the safety guard off (which I only recommend to those with great hand-eye coordination.) It has it's purposes now and then but give me sharp exacto blade and steel ruler any day!!

I've only used my Harbor Freight table saw on 1/8" plywood for ripping straight cuts, and it worked just fine. For detail work I prefer either DH's bandsaw or my scrollsaw, and for small cuts I use my cork-backed steel straight edge and utility knife.

@Linda,

I have something similar that I got at Harbor Freight. It has been really handy. I used it to cut out the windows in my scratch built house.

exactly Cyd. I used a utility knife to score scratch windows in my additions then continued with that handy dandy rectangle blade. Did some 'oops' sanding them but working window frames covered okay. The side window in the Primrose isn't right and I want to put it where I want it. Hope this same blade does the job and doesn't split the wood wrong with this thinner wood. I use to say Duct Tape will fix anything but now it's Glues. :lol:

Everyone have a blessed day.

LindaC