Concerning trolls

CatColorado

I was wondering if anyone is interested in working along with me while I build some trolls. I have two started, but I was thinking it would be more fun to build with others. We could post project pics here and share questions and ideas. I am making my interpretation of a troll, but I'd love to see what everyone else comes up with. I can list the materials I am using, along with suggested tools. Any takers?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to learn how to do that too. But I may be a silent participant in this. The last time I tried to make a doll it turned out looking like a troll and it was supposed to look like a little girl.

What week-end night are we gonna attempt this?

Cool! I'll come up with a complete supply list by tomorrow afternoon. I'm using alot of found objects and things from nature. The only special thing you'll need is clay if you don't already have some on hand. What would be best, Friday or Saturday night? We could start Friday and finish on Saturday, nothing says we have to finish in one night. I'm saying this because some steps require you to let the glue dry as well as baking the clay.

Here's some things to get ready:

Tacky glue

Polymer Clay- your choice of color. I'm using earth tones, greens and browns.

A few thin sticks, the knarlier the better

scraps of fabric

a popsicle stick or something similar that you can use to sculpt

optional:

*a polymer mold that has faces, if you have it. They don't have to be human faces and don't worry about scale. I'm using one with sun faces.

*talcum powder for the mold (if you use one)

*string, floss, viscose, broom - anything that can be used as hair

*Natural materials such as bark, dried leaves, twigs, moss, seeds, pods, etc.

I guess all I need is some clay. Do you like FIMO or sculpy better?? Which is better for a beginner. I have NEVER used polymer clay. Is it safe to use my oven that I cook in?? I am asking these questions because I remember seeing these question before but, because I was not interested in it then......I sorta skipped it :lol:

I use my regular oven and as long as you have proper ventilation you should be good to go. Do you have a gas or an electric oven? I use Sculpey because it is softer and easier on my hands, as well as having a nice texture. Many people prefer Fimo because it is firmer to work, it's a matter of personal taste. Most, if not all, food and doll artists use fimo.

You might want to invest in a tile of sorts to bake your clay upon. I use the back of a baking pan that I don't use for cooking, which might not be the best surface to use.

Other useful materials:

clean Utility knife for cutting clay

scissors

Bamboo skewers or an awl

craft paints and brushes

pipe cleaners

assorted small beads (optional), I use them for eyes

Matte acrylic spray sealer

Note: If you plan to use your figures outside, use waterproof glues instead of the tacky glue. And, if you get the Aleene's tacky glue in the silver bottle...it really DOES dry in a matter of seconds. Great stuff.

I think that covers it.

I know what all of the things on the materials list is for except what are the sticks for? I ask so i find the right size.

As for when,and time is ok with me.

Tracy, you can use a piece of glass to bake on if you don't have a tile. Just plan picture glass works.

I like using Fimo.

GULP!

Bake? Tile? Oven? Awl? You guys are making me nervous. And where do I get clay and stuff?

As you can see, at least one of us is a real dummy who has NEVER done anything like this, so I need more help ...

How about some pictures of what I need? Would a toaster oven work? I think I have one in the attic here.

Also, I can't use an exacto knife because I cut myself with it. Can I use a razorblade instead? I don't cut myself with those--don't know why, I just don't ...

LindaC!! STOP!!! B)

calm down! we are your friends! :lol:

we want you to make a troll :p

we will help you! :)

breathe in....and out!! ;)

now keep repeating till calmer! ;)

lol

it does sound like fun.....most of all the things on list can be found at Walmarts

or a Hobby Lobby or Micheals.

a toaster oven works good for this and I use one of my glass piepan which I use for nothing else now. plenty of room for multiple items.

laterzzz

nutti :)

The sticks I am using for the armatures but you can substitute pipe cleaners if you want. In the first one, the sticks act as a design element, but in the second they are not so apparent. I would say look for sticks that are a sturdy 1/4" diameter and that have interesting bumps, curves or forks in them. Nothing shorter than 6" because it's harder to adjust the height if the stick is too short. You can always cut a longer stick down.

Linda, an awl is just a metal pointy stick. A bamboo skewer (think shish kabob) works just as well. Heck, you could even use a pencil if you want. A razor blade will work fine, I use an old steak knife. I think I have some pictures of my supplies on my computer already. I'll send them to you. Remember: trolls are not known for their beauty, so the more mistakes you make, the better they will look.

I'm going to postpone the start of this until tomorrow 5pm Mountain Time (7pm East Coast). Hopefully everyone is okay with that. I didn't sleep well last night and I really need to go to bed early. I'm verging on incoherance. :lol:

It's ok with me too. I still have to get some sticks.

Don't panic Linda, I'm by no means a pro with fimo but its fun to play with. Think of it as adult play dough that doesn't dry out.

What part of the forum will we be on? Blogs, Swaps. I'm not sure how this part works. Will we be able to see the trolls done step by step? I'm not as computer savy as the rest of you.

I'll put the pictures in with the text right here in the thread. When everything is done, I will move the pictures to the gallery. That's why I hope everyone will post pictures of their attempts, I think it would be great to have a Rogue's Gallery of Trolls.

I'm using a mold for the face on this first guy/gal. I'd never used a commercial mold before (I have made and used my own though) so I thought it would be fun to try one for this project.

I used a ball of clay and imprinted the face on one side. The clay ball was about the thickness of my thumb.

post-22-1120951471_thumb.jpg

post-22-1120951571_thumb.jpg

I baked the head at this point, so I wouldn't end up smushing everything. While that cooks and cools. Here's a head that I completely sculpted by hand.post-22-1120952520_thumb.jpg

Hi Terri! I'm sure the others will show up. Will you post a pic of the mixture you are using? This second head is similar to the first except that I added bone colored clay.

Ready for the next step when you are. I'll post one later. my color is sorta a dull lime green. I started with leaf green, added flesh and some translucent,and a ball of light brown so it has some brown streaks in the face.

post-22-1120953910_thumb.jpgpost-22-1120953990_thumb.jpgpost-22-1120954082_thumb.jpg

For the eyelids, I made two, thin, slug-like threads of clay and stuck them over the eyeholes. I blended the edges with my finger and a skewer. I used beads for eyeballs by pushing them into the clay. The ears were made from two rectangular pieces of clay. After attaching the rectangles to the head, I pinched the tips to form points.