Beacon Hill Giggles

Blondie

I just looked at the "estimated time" for building the various GL houses. The Beacon Hill said "50 hours." I giggled to myself because I've had my house for YEARS now (of course, I have NOT been working on it all the time). Anyway, I find it funny that I chose the longest house time as my very first dollhouse. I was SO green when I started--and lost. After I got the hang of it, I built an Arthur princess house for my niece, which I suppose is my first "true" build (since I actually finished it). Isn't it interesting how crazy ambitious some of us get when choosing our first houses? I should have started with the Arthur. But oh, my Beacon Hill is so beautiful... in progress. Ha.

Did everyone start HUGE for their first house or was that just me?

• Like 2

Oh wow! I just looked at your houses and they were/are BIG! And no, I suppose we never truly finish them... we could always add MORE! :D I have a couple of little things I find at shops -- mostly empty fake books or small boxes that I find at TJ Maxx. I wonder if I will ever "finish" those... ? :hmm:

• 3 months later...

LOL Yup- my first house was an Artply Barrington - NOT an easy first-timer's choice! :bangin: STILL not finished! LOL

I was quite lost, then got frustrated and went on to build 2 Victorian Jr's and work on some handmade houses I bought at a yard sale....learned a LOT! And after serveral years I went back and corrected the mistakes I made building the Barrington.....of course, by now I need to totally renovate because I've learned SO much more! :bigwink:

What is with this "finished" nonsense! Are we supposed to FINISH them? :bangin:

I don't think we should "finish" them, Holly. That would imply: "cease; close; conclusion, expiration, and TERMINATION". We don't want our dh's to be expired or terminated! :nono:

I have yet to build a large dollhouse - due to our mobile lifestyle in our early years my dh's were all a bit unorthodox. But the first big one I want to do is the Garfield. That house fascinates me. I've built it in 1:144 scale, now I want to do the big one. And when I do, I don't plan to be in a hurry.

Had to smile at this thread. My first house was the Garfield too - yes lets go BIG. Took me ages to get to a point where I can say its almost finished but - guess what, there's still plenty left to do - the gingerbread trim for instance and the rest of the garden area - which true to form I made super huge. The beautiful Garfield is patiently waiting for me to return but I got waylaid by a few annual spring flings and a Russian House. I always said I would never start another house until I'd finished the last one - I had good intentions but............................

Space limitations always mean that I have to have one project to a decent stopping point before I can bring myself to start on another, BUT I can always go back and tweak here, add decor there... And when you're starting out and it's a big house that speaks to your heart, you can always go back and rehab it after you've honed your skills.

...., you can always go back and rehab it after you've honed your skills.

Ssshhhhhh Holly! Don't encourage me! I keep looking at the Van Buren and thinking about making some changes to it!

Oh man, I just posted a thread about how I promised to build a dollhouse for my niece's birthday (in November) and the one they decided to buy (without consulting me) was the Beacon Hill. It's nice to know that I am not crazy. I said that I could maybe build it by her next birthday.

• 3 months later...
Guest Happy Heart

My first dollhouse build was the Dura Craft VH 600. I bought it on eBay for $31 ($32 for shipping, lol) and it'll probably NEVER be finished. Thought it was an out rageous price to pay for a house kit UNTIL I got more knowledgable about the matter, now it's my best buy.

• 2 years later...

Hi, everyone

my first miniature house was a gift for Christmas many years ago, the San Franciscan "no" its not finished by far, still in disarray I would have to say. Over the years it was put away, then I moved, then it got put away again. Now I have it in my office in a box however, over the years I have also purchased other houses, and was given an already built Beacon Hill as a gift, "not finished".

and I bought the Little Orphan Annie house, "not finished". I have a Log Cabon, and I recently bought my granddaughter a miniature house, however I do not know which one it is...

At some point yes, I would like to get them to a point that I feel that they are finished. My kids are always saying to me aren't you ever going to finish those.....lol

My first kit house is a Garfield. It was purchased in the 1980's. Still way not done!!

Look at my profile for the itsy-bitsy list of those finished, in progress, still in boxes, and ones I've assisted grands with.