Need tips on removing tacky glue from plastic windows

mininecessities

I've suggested WD40 before for this,but someone said it might hurt the wood...I couldn't find anything on the company site saying it would harm wood,but you'd have to decide for yourself. If it's just the plastic inserts,I would definitely use it-it absolutely gets all adhesive residues off any clear plastic I have ever used it on without harming it. Just don't scrub anything across the plastic,of course! Spray the WD40,let it soak a good while,then wash with warm water and dish soap.This is just the plastic inserts,now,that I am suggesting this for,lest anyone get upset with me...

I wouldn't use WD40 if you ever want to paint the wood again. I have successfully used warm water. The trick is to apply the thinnest bead of glue to the edge of the frame (I find a toothpick does this best) and then hold the insert on the ips of your fingers after you have placed said fingers through the inside of the frame and gently let the insert float from the tips of your fingers onto the frame. The gluewill touch the plastic but not spread out over the part that shows beyond the frame. Then when you glue the frame to the wall run the glue bead between the outer edge of the frame and the insert.

... The trick is to apply the thinnest bead of glue to the edge of the frame...

No need to run a bead. A wee drop of glue in each corner will go the trick. In this case, less is definitely more!

Cheryl I make a mess of my windows also. I keep a cup of water and q tips sitting right there to wipe them immediately. I am a glue monster and I realize I use too much glue! I have been applying the glue with a toothpick and that has helped me a lot. Also, I have used a little Goo Gone on a q tip to wipe the glue off from the plastic which worked well also. Good Luck!

Thanks for all your help. I did try just warm water but that was immediately after it happened. I have some that has been there for a long time. I could just pretend my windows are dirty lol

I do think I have learned a lot on this house.........and yes use less glue lol. I will try some of the other things when I get around to it

It all sounds so simple.......lol but I am messy and when you wait till house is together and try to work through doorways lol it is harder! lol

again thanks! and will take all suggestions and use them! :) what is funny is one of my last ones......(and I do use a q tip) .I was very very careful and told myself This is the One that will turn out perfect and whoops lol yep got a dab of glue on it. i am hexed!

A thought: :hmm: Try rubbing gently with the smooth wooden stick (like an orange stick for nails or the rounded end of a flat toothpick) if the glue is more of a blob than a smear. If you're careful, the blunt wood should not scratch the plastic and the glue may lift off.

I just went through this with the windows on the Lawbre Shadowcliff I am working on. The previous owner hadn't started on the house shell itself but had painted the window pane frames & window frames, with primer I think. I needed to get them apart to sand them & paint them & when I took them all apart (an adventure all on it's own!) I discovered little globs of dried glue on the edges of several windows.

What worked for me to get the glue off was to soak the plastic window inserts in a bowl of warm soap water (Dawn dish soap). After a few hours of soaking i was able to peel the softened glue off with my fingernails & the windows look nice as new.

Edited to add: (because I originally posted before my morning coffee!) this method won't work if the plastic window inserts are already glued to the wood frames. Soaking would destroy the wood. I should've read the post more carefully!

Lisa,that's okay-Dawn (I love it!) is still a great tip for getting the glue off the plastic by itself-just like I intended my post to be taken-At that time I was suggesting to use WD40 on plastic only.

Although: I experimented yesterday and a piece of scrap wood took a coat of paint normally and dried just fine after spraying and rubbing WD40 on it-having wiped it off before painting,of course. Regardless,WD40 IS safe and quick on plain plastic,but I wouldn't use it on inserts with painted designs. I really wouldn't suggest something that would ruin another forum member's property...