Thatched Roofing

Charlene

Want to thank everyone for the kind words on my thatched cottage. Like to share something with you. My method worked, but it's messy and not really true to life. Since I'm leaving tomorrow for a few days and will be off-line till Sunday or Monday, I thought I'd share this thatching tip with you before I leave.

For those of you who want a more realistic thatching, I have a book by Beryl Armstrong "How To Make Your Dollshouse Special". On pages 109-120 she details how to do a realistic thatched roof by using tall, dried grass. Included are directions for the tying at the top of the roof. It's still messy and takes a lot of time, but the results are great.

I don't want to violate any copyright laws, but --

The basic process is to hand cut the tall grass. She then uses a channel (stripwood 3" long, 1/2" wide) attached to a work surface. Lay the grass bunches in there, tape one end to secure, remove and make another bundle. When you have all your bundles ready, Cut 2" strips of cotton fabric the length of your roof. Attach the strip to a work table with pins. Glue the upper end of each hay bundle to the strip side by side and let the strip set up. Trim the bundles even at 3". You then glue the cotton strips to the roof, laying a layer of glue on top of each to attach the next strip up. She uses diluted tacky glue to coat the grass so it will lay down. The top strip (over the roof line) is made separately on a folded cardboard, both roof sides at once and then cross-hatched with twine.

Tho' this is more a more intricate method than I used, it really is to scale when you finish and very, very realistic. I really recommend this book (got it from Amazon)...she's tremendously talented and gives a lot of tips. The only thing that I would add is that you really should coat the entire roof with a clear, matte varnish (lightly, lightly). I did so on the cottage and using it will stablize the entire roof so that your grass doesn't start breaking off.

Thanks so much, Charlene! :D I'll have to have a look for that book, but will keep your directions on hand for when I do my Glencroft . . . someday! :lol:

Charlene, I have that book and you are right about the messiness of her technique, but the results are great. I bought mine at Woodcrafter's store where I get my veneer. I bought it mainly for the sole reason of the thatching technique, because I also have a glencroft I toyed with the idea of thatching.

We have a Woodcrafter's store here so I'll have to check it out for the book. I also need to head over there for veneer for the third floor windows on my Beacon Hill. :lol: LisaN if you thatch you're Glencroft be sure to post pictures!