18 replies to this topic

#1 CatColorado

CatColorado

Queen of Bedlam

• Platinum Member
  • 2726 posts
  • Local time: 07:31 AM

Posted 09 September 2005 - 06:43 PM

I wanted to post the new DIY today but the batteries in my camera died :) . Didn't I have that problem last time? ;) I'll definitely have it up tomorrow after I buy more batteries. :D

The project is Roman-type blinds made from a bamboo shelf liner. I'll also include tips on personalizing the blinds to coordinate with your room. It's fun. It's quick. And best of all, it's easy. They look good too. :D

I'm adding the diy to this post to keep it easy to find :) For this project, you'll need a bamboo shelf liner, tin snips or similar heavy scissors, glue, masking tape, pencil, and a ruler. I found my liner at Walmart for under $5. You can get four shades out of one shelf liner. This picture shows what the liner looks like diy_001.jpg

Measure the length of the area on your window that you want to cover. The black threading on the shelf liner becomes the sashes for the blinds. Use your ruler and pencil to draw a cut line so your sashes will be equidistant from both sides. The pictures make more sense than I do.diy_002.jpg

Before you cut, use a piece of masking tape mark the bottom of your shade. This also helps to keep the shade from falling apart when you start cutting.diy_003.jpg

Add glue to the black binding threads at the bottom of the shade. This is to keep the thread from unraveling from the bamboo after you cut. Let the glue dry, I used my tin snips to weigh down the threads to make sure they adhered to the bamboo.diy_004.jpg

Once everything is dry, cut the shade loose. Remove the tape and you are done. Your shade is ready to hang!

Note* In the pictures, I show the shade already cut out before the gluing and taping. This was just to make it easier for you to see what I was doing. If you cut before gluing or taping, you will have an aggravating time re-weaving the cut ends back together. It is doable but I don't recommend it. The most important part is to make sure those threads are glued down tight!

Edited by CatColorado, 10 September 2005 - 03:56 PM.

But what is happiness except the simple harmony between a man and the life he leads?
Albert Camus

http://kathrynrubidoux.wordpress.com/

#2 LPCullen

LPCullen

Moderator/Builder

• Platinum Member
  • 5138 posts
  • Local time: 09:31 AM

Posted 09 September 2005 - 07:32 PM

Sounds like fun!

LindaCullen

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.
The best way to predict your future is to create it.

#3 havanaholly

havanaholly

Cousin Farfrom Normal, Queen of Spackle

• Team Master Builder
  • 54152 posts
  • Local time: 08:31 AM

Posted 09 September 2005 - 08:15 PM

Ah, Cat, You read my mind, I've been looking for a way to make window blinds.
havanaholly
working as little as possible

#4 MiniMadWoman

MiniMadWoman

Every leaf speaks bliss to me, fluttering from the autumn tree.

• Platinum Member
  • 3910 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 10:16 PM

Wonderful!! ;) I'm looking forward to this!
~ Teresa ~
Visit my Blog at Marigold Manor
Visit my Photo Albums at Teresa's World
Visit my Photo Shows at Teresa's Dollhouses

#5 shutterbugkc

shutterbugkc

Procrastination Pro

• Gold Member
  • 713 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 10:27 AM

Cool, That sounds like a fun project! ;)
Karen

#6 CatColorado

CatColorado

Queen of Bedlam

• Platinum Member
  • 2726 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 01:20 PM

Hi everyone! I posted the diy in my first post at the top of this thread. Some tips for customizing include gluing ribbon in the color or pattern of your choice over the black thread, you could spray paint the blinds too. With some clever use of jump rings, you could make working blinds, although you would need to add a hook or small nail at the base of your window to attach the pull cord (to keep the shade in a raised position).

Some ideas for using the leftover bits, would include a door mat, and a basket.
But what is happiness except the simple harmony between a man and the life he leads?
Albert Camus

#7 darrellandmelissa

darrellandmelissa

Team Builder

• Team Master Builder
  • 1318 posts
  • Local time: 06:31 AM

Posted 10 September 2005 - 01:32 PM

I love the look of it. I wonder if I could find simular material somewhere. I am very allergic to bamboo. Simply touching it causes a rash. I think I have an old oriental calendar that is made of small pieces of paper somewhere. Maybe I could use the tutorial on that material.
Melissa

#8 havanaholly

havanaholly

• Team Master Builder
  • 54152 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 02:57 PM

While in Wally World today getting the rest of Glencroft pictures processed to finish the blog (so far) I went looking for the bamboo placemats. What they had didn't look like bamboo, but some sort of very delicate grass. Definitely not what you were using, Cat. I'm a woman on a quest!
havanaholly

#9 CatColorado

CatColorado

Queen of Bedlam

• Platinum Member
  • 2726 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 03:52 PM

I love the look of it. I wonder if I could find simular material somewhere. I am very allergic to bamboo. Simply touching it causes a rash. I think I have an old oriental calendar that is made of small pieces of paper somewhere. Maybe I could use the tutorial on that material.
Melissa

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perhaps it would help if Darrell gave the uncut shelf liner a good coat (or three)of spray sealer to make a barrier before you tried handling the liner ? You might be able to find something similar in plastic, although I don't have a source. If I come across any non-bamboo liners, I'll let you know.
The oriental calendar sounds neat, I have a wall scroll with koi on it that is made in a similar way
Albert Camus

#10 CatColorado

CatColorado

Queen of Bedlam

• Platinum Member
  • 2726 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 04:02 PM

While in Wally World today getting the rest of Glencroft pictures processed to finish the blog (so far) I went looking for the bamboo placemats.  What they had didn't look like bamboo, but some sort of very delicate grass.  Definitely not what you were using, Cat.  I'm a woman on a quest!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The grass mat sounds intriguing! Was it a placemat or a shelf liner? I'll have to get a look at those. You'll find the bamboo mats with the rolls vinyl shelf paper in the kitchen accessories aisle. At least that's where I found mine ;)
Albert Camus

#11 CatColorado

CatColorado

Queen of Bedlam

• Platinum Member
  • 2726 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 05:18 PM

I've done a bit of research and for those of you who either do not have a Walmart (or that particular Walmart doesn't stock it), Lowe's carries the same item. It is a little more expensive ($5.95). Here are the item numbers for anyone who is interested:

Duck® Bamboo Liner

Item # 124814
Model # 124814

On a related note, Duck® puts out some other liners that could have miniature applications. They make both a brushed metal adhesive liner and one of cork.
Albert Camus

#12 havanaholly

havanaholly

• Team Master Builder
  • 54152 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 06:23 PM

and one of cork.

I saw those cork liners & my immediate thought was: FLOORS! One house I visited in had cork tile in the den, very pretty, a bear to clean!
I also think of the cork bulletin boards.
Three days later I got to one of the huge stupid Wally worlds in Tallahassee and they had bamboo shelf liners. The bamboo slivers were 'way too big for blinds, more like scale fishing poles, and the liners came in fluorescent lime green and radioactive red. They had one of the grass-type placemats, but the pieces are too far apart to work for anything in scale. I'm still looking.
havanaholly

#13 Bojangles

Bojangles

• Gold Member
  • 547 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:24 PM

This is really cute. i love the look. I will use it in one of my houses. Thank you...great job!
" Sharon - Bojangles"

#14 Elicia

Elicia

QUEEN OF NOTHING the crown is too heavy

• Gold Member
  • 540 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:02 PM

I didn't realize we were having a DIY monthly project....How wonderful.....BTW, I got my bamboo (?) placemat at Dollar Tree for guess how much...yep, you're right...$1......unfortunately the only colors they had were orange or blue but I think that they can be spray painted another color....Thanks, Cat....can't wait until next month....

Elicia
LLonSSinSC

Elicia
Queen of Nothing
I find crowns to be too heavy in many ways

#15 chesterfieldzoo

chesterfieldzoo

• Platinum Member
  • 9239 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:55 AM

Elicia, did you look at the date of the original post? This is an old thread, but the idea is timeless and it's nice to see it again.
~*~ A rich person is not the one who has the most...but the one who needs the least. ~*~

#16 Elicia

Elicia

QUEEN OF NOTHING the crown is too heavy

• Gold Member
  • 540 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:14 AM

Nope, Deana....I was just so thrilled to see it and to think that there would be a monthly DIY on a level that I could do, I didn't even notice that it said September much less 2005...since I lost my job in February, one day just rolls into another just like one month into another...LOL.....Gayle was kind enough to PM me that it was September '05.....I am extremely disappointed.....why don't they put a monthly DIY on a simple level like this one in the monthly letter....It doesn't take much to excite me.....

Elicia
LLonSSinSC

Elicia
Queen of Nothing
I find crowns to be too heavy in many ways

#17 Deb

Deb

Cousin Abby Normal; Born to Bash

• Super Moderator
  • 6645 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:30 PM

why don't they put a monthly DIY on a simple level like this one in the monthly letter....It doesn't take much to excite me.....

I get excited about DIY projects too and so do all of our Gazette readers. You're in good company Elicia! That's why we include tutorials in every issue of the Gazette with a variety of projects at different skill levels so no one is left out. The Gazette archives are located here: http://www.dollhouse...use-newsletter/ where you can browse thru them and find all kinds of fun things to do.

Deb
>^^< My Website http://www.debsminis.com/ >^^< Lots of eye candy, blogs and tutorials >^^<
>^^< My Blog >^^< My You Tube Channel >^^<

#18 havanaholly

havanaholly

• Team Master Builder
  • 54152 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 05:54 PM

That reminds me, I finally made the blinds for Maggie:
Posted Image
havanaholly

#19 Wolfie

Wolfie

Wolfie

• Platinum Member
  • 10579 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:20 PM

Neat! Love the blinds!

Wolfie
http://www.lonewolfm...recreations.com
"Bringing little people to life - one little person at a time!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users